Fire Extingusher location needed, where should i mount it

Toyotaxtreamteam

Feb 26, 2006
Mass
anyone have pics of a fire extingusher mounted in there supra, i just bought one today and not some crappy chrome one with flames lol from auto zone but a real electrical fire one, any location where i should mount it, i was thinking some where behind front seat or even neat the floor on the fron passaanger seat so its in arms reach?? any pics

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
haha when i was a kid my dads car caught on fire in the engine compartment. our neighbor saw the flames and ran over spraying a electrical extinguisher all over the motor. ya that was a mess to deal with afterwards. a simple shot of flames ment major engine repair.

becarefull where you spray.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
I have mine mounted in my hatch area.

No the best place, and not very easily axessable (sp?), but its better than nothing!

Ill post some pics if ya want!

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Look for pics of Duanes car (UpgradedSupra) He has his mounted on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel in front of the seat, very accessible but might be annoying for passengers with big knee's or legs lol.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I have mine mounted to the vertical surface under the rear seat behind the drivers seat.

Any where that's not easily reached will cost time and could be the difference in a few scorched bits and a total burndown if it takes hold as most extinguishers don't have the capacity for a large fire.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
jetjock said:
I carry a Halon 1301 three pounder in my other vehicles but for the Soup I use one of these. It goes right in the glove box. It may not look big but Halon is the best fire suppressent ever invented. It's so good it's now illegal to make and is supposed to be used only in aviation. I bought a case of these puppies years ago when they outlawed it's manufacture. The beauty of Halon is it doesn't deprive the fire of oxygen as do other types of suppressents, it actually stops the chemical process that makes fire possible. Very good stuff and leaves zero residue.

why is it outlawed?

Exilium

Sep 18, 2005
Gothenburg
2275671_35_full.jpg

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Ive seen it mounted on the PS A pillar, but to me that is too far to reach (for a driver) and reduces visibility a little. The PS trans tunnel seems like one of the best locations, or if you have one or dont mind adding one buy one of these: Harness bars and mount it in the center of the bar. While your at it get yourself a 4 point or 5 point belt. It would be safe, and very cool looking!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
y not use a system like boats have where u can mount the actually bottle anywere, but have hoses route it from where ever the bottle is to under the hood. then just use a cable or something mounted in a convienient location to trigger it. so if a fire eroupts from under the hood u just pull a cable and its all taken care of,

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
^^ That's alot of tubing and you'll need a large container to store it in. a mobile extinguisher has the ability to be aimed at anything, If a small fire erupts you can target that area, instead of having to blanket the entire engine bay wasting much product and covering everything that was not on fire in the meantime.
This would be a great idea on a purpose built race car or something especially for safety. But for a street car I don't think it's all that practical.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
::edit:: damnit you beat me to it! good point nonetheless. i'll keep my post here::/edit::
well, what if the engine is elsewhere, perhaps it could start under the dash? then you've got fire extinguisher going into the engine, when there is no fire. Hand-held is the best way.
I vote the rear seat's floor area.
lol @ a-pillar.... :nono:

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
nosechunks said:
y not use a system like boats have where u can mount the actually bottle anywere, but have hoses route it from where ever the bottle is to under the hood. then just use a cable or something mounted in a convienient location to trigger it. so if a fire eroupts from under the hood u just pull a cable and its all taken care of,

like this: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/dept_id.946/display_id.1010/qx/Product.htm

Little pricey for me, I think I'll stick with my handheld.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
where can you buy halon now? i saw a little web link on that site but...are there any stores you can walk into and find halon?

also...i dont get how they stopped manufacturing it, but they have enough to supply plains and military with it, and also how do they recycle it? once you use a gas it dissipates.....

does it collect in the atmosphere where they can scoop it up or something? lol.....