Finishing a basement: good books to read?

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Greetings!

We just bought a new house and looking to redo some of the basement that the previous owners tried to finish. Do some of you out there who might have done this before have suggestions about books to read on the topic?

Possibilities we are considering are just having a play area with a couple of extra rooms to trying to install another bedroom with egress window and a full bathroom.

I've looked into framing walls, septic up-pumps, etc, but really trying to get an idea of what I'm getting into...

Thanks!

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I finished mine about 7 years ago. I did the framing, plumbing, finish carpentry, and about 50% of the drywall (hang & 1st coat of mud) before realizing I'd rather take a daily kick in the nuts than sand and do another coat. I also contracted out the electrical work, because I got such an incredible deal ($500 for all - rough in from the panel, and all finish work) from a retired electrician as a favor, because I had hired him to do some jobs for me at work over the past couple of years. :)

If you're at all good with your hands, it's not an impossible job - it just takes time. I spent about 9 months on the roughly 750 sq ft plus the stairs, before the carpet got laid down and we moved the furniture in. As far as books go, the only one I used was a Time/Life book on 'finishing spaces' that my wife picked up at a yard sale for 50 cents. Everything else came from internet DIY sites and talking to other people who had done theirs. Make sure you find out if building permits are required. You might be able to sneak the project through without, but then again...

Good luck with the project, and have fun. :)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I'm hiring my buddy to do it. he's a professional, and I'd rather pay him than a stranger. Plus, he'll be using the extra room downstairs quite often, so I know he'll do a good job. Plus, he's a perfectionist... he didn't like how I did anything in my garage, lol.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I am a trained professional with a tool belt and everything........if you have any questions feel free to send me a pm.

See......:icon_bigg

p1196587_1.jpg

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
suprahero;1196587 said:
I am a trained professional with a tool belt and everything........if you have any questions feel free to send me a pm.

See......:icon_bigg

A trained Pro at what? Not knowing anything about safety? :biglaugh:

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
DT: Thanks for the links! Those will certainly help in the near future.

SH: I'm sure I will have questions along the way! Try not to fall off any roofs before then! :)

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Most of the electric is done. It looks like they hastily threw up some walls and already have lots of lights/outlets/switches around. It's mainly going to be making sure they put the walls up in a good way and getting a floor down. They basically just put down carpet pad and carpet on about 1/3 of the floor. The rest is still exposed.

I want to carpet it, but I'm looking into options such as Dri-Core to put down first. For the electric, all I really want to do now is take their wall mounted lights and try to recess them.