Finally Passed Emission with a 1JZ!!!!

carguy34

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Denver, CO
I am super excited right now. After failing 3 times, I finally passed! My first fail:

HC limit 2.5, I was at 0.52
CO limit 20.0, 0.89
NOx limit 4.0, 5.57

As you can see, missed the NOx by a bit, I was told to put on an EGR system. Jump ahead to today, 4th times a charm:

HC limit 2.5, I was at 0.12
CO limit 20.0, 0.76
NOx limit 4.0, 2.61

The car is stock as far as emission effecting engine stuff. For the first test I had a random tech cat in the downpipe and nothing else. For the fourth test I had the random tech cat AND a stock cat (stock location) installed. I had the correction on the SAFC to 0% across the board, so it was running straight off the computer for everything. I'm super excited, after owning the car for a couple months I can finally get it registered. BTW, this is in Denver, CO.

makaveli913

1jz and lovin it
Nov 20, 2007
Pueblo Co
hell yeah congrats!! luckily Pueblo doesnt have emissions. My 1jz wont pass for shit. 3" dp and on, no cat. cool to know theres another 1jz supra in the CO. Theres one other i know in Pueblo west. His is rhd

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
hey i live in highlands ranch...should meet up sometime man.

congrats!

how the hell did you get egr system to lower your nox down so much? i still have my truck registered in Wa and keeping it registered there lol

carguy34

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Denver, CO
sctwinturbo;1151211 said:
well how did you pass
did you put the dual cats you thinking about ?

i just passed today myself too

I did end up with 2 cats. I have a stock Turbo cat in the stock location and a Random tech 3"in/3"out in the DP.

carguy34

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Denver, CO
RockPaperSwoRD;1151357 said:
what egr system did you use? one from a 2jz?

No EGR system. I had built an EGR system when I only had the random tech on without the stock cat. I didn't have a switching valve, so it constantly recirculated. My HC and CO passed, but my NOx was still a bit to high (4.8). All that is required on the visual for an 87 Supra in Denver is a Cat, Fuel filler restrictor, and Oxygen sensor. Air injection is NA on my printout and they note the check engine light, but you don't automatically fail if it is on.

carguy34

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Denver, CO
str8_6;1150869 said:
hey i live in highlands ranch...should meet up sometime man.

congrats!

how the hell did you get egr system to lower your nox down so much? i still have my truck registered in Wa and keeping it registered there lol

Yes, yes we should. I actually live in Parker, my bro lives near the intersection of University and Colorado. I'll be over at his place after playing paintball tomorrow. Call me if you get a chance, 3.501.5980 (Brandon).

I don't have any EGR system, it just worked out that with no correction and about 10" of catalytic convertor it passed.