Finally Introducing myself.

thorpedo

Apr 30, 2009
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
I've been registered on here for a while so it is about time I introduce myself.

My name is Devon, I'm 22 and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I purchased my 86.5 about 4 years ago. It was my first car and I drove it in stock form for about a year, including all winter. With a decent set of snow tires these beasts aren't bad in the snow at all.

After many, many electrical problems and lots of debating on what type of swap i wanted to do, I finally made up my mind and build myself a stout little 350c.i. Small Block Chevy. Before you all jump on this opportunity to flame I'll explain myself. I work at an engine shop and I primarily work on older v8's. As most do in this business I slowly leaned towards the Chev side of things for reasons such as cost, simplicity, availability of parts etc etc. CHEAP power is what i am after, being young and broke and all :p

So 500$ CAD later, I now have a Full roller, decent revving, very streetable, very dependable 350hp engine. Plus I picked up a 150hp plate nitrous system for 100$, it should work half decent.

None of the work I do is the prettiest. MANY things on my car still need to be touched up, but at the moment I'm just focused on getting my car up and running. I have a couple hours of wiring left and I should be ready to fire it up. I've done a lot of work since my most recent pics so I'll just post the pics I have and see when I can get some new ones for you guys.

In case you didn't notice I tried to go with the "ricey" exterior appearance. That adds to the surprise factor when I fire it up and you can literally feel the rumble of the 3" true duals. I'm all about being different.

p1488801_1.jpg

p1488801_2.jpg

p1488801_3.jpg

p1488801_4.jpg

p1488801_5.jpg

p1488801_6.jpg

p1488801_7.jpg

p1488801_8.jpg

I built my adapter plate with a drill, some measuring instruments and a set of torches. I am aware it looks shitty and needs cleaning up. Don't let the appearance fool you...It aligns the transmission within five ten-thousandths of an inch. I also made the flywheel adapter and mounted the starter. (the hole in the bell housing has since been reinforced) The pulley on the harmonic balancer is actually made out of the original 7m pulley, I did this so I can use the factory toyota alternator and power steering pump. Cooling is taken care of by a Mishimoto alum. rad with dual electric 14" (yes, you can squeeze dual 14's in there) fans and a high volume electric water pump. Fuel is a pumped by the factory in-tank pump with an inline holley blue with a pressure regulator. I'm sure there are lots of bugs left to work out, but this is a start. Believe it or not it sits about an inch higher in the front with all my chev gear installed, so don't bother making any "heavy old chevy" comments lol

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Welcome. :) You're not the only one with non-Toyota V8 power under the hood. There are a few others around, one of which is going to be insane when it's done!