Finally got it running and ot has a lifter tick

cool_eh

Jan 1, 2013
winnipeg
Hey guys
I finally got the car running,
I still have not repaired my no power to the fuel pump issues and I am running it direct power to the fuel pump.

But the car rolls over and fires up on the second revolution, I had it running for over a 1/2 hr and it developed a lifter tick

Anyone know a link on how to set the valve train

I finally got the car running just to have to tear down it down again :(

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Um. I'd be more worried about the fuel pump power issues, than valvetrain noise.
Check the fuel pump relay on the passenger fender well.

cool_eh

Jan 1, 2013
winnipeg
Ok, so I have looked into this and it hydraulic lifters and shims...
This is a brand new head with zero miles on it... And the noise is definitely coming from right rear valve cover and not the bottom end...

cool_eh

Jan 1, 2013
winnipeg
Hey guys I must say that I really appreciate your help with everything...
Its either the supra community or everyone on this site. But eveything I have needed help with you guys have my back...
Thanks alot!!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Nothing hydraulic in the head. It's a bucket and shim over the spring.

The tick is from loose valve lash clearances.

But if it got worse from running if make sure the cam caps are tight.

cool_eh

Jan 1, 2013
winnipeg
Hey, I found my lifter noise, it could be that it has a stripped manifold bolt...
But I changed the trans oil, pulled all wheels off took a grinder and shaved off the 10year old rust off the brake rotors, worked the sh*t out of the calipers, tied up a few loose ends put her back on the ground and went for a drive...
Other then the vacuum lines and what I think is a exhaust tick this car runs and drives great...

cool_eh

Jan 1, 2013
winnipeg
Oh yeah.. I am a burn out...
I have found my fuel pump issues also (I dont and did not have any)...
I had completed the Walbro & 12 v mod and I could not get power to my 86 wire on the relay (power coming from fp relay pass fender),
Well I did have power the whole time, it only delivers power to that circuit when when the fp control relay see's power from ignition switch in the start position

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Although these cars dont have lifters, the TSRM does refer to the buckets as 'lifters'. Thats why i didnt bust your chops about it.
And yes- exhaust leak can definitely sound like valvetrain noise. As for taking a grinder to the rotors...

cool_eh

Jan 1, 2013
winnipeg
Grinder to the rotors works great to shave the rust, brakes were brand new when in stalled and juat waiting for my new rotors and pads to come in, ordered ebc green stuff yesterday, will be 10-12 days away, gotta get car safetied and on road for tomorrow..
I blew my motor in my Maxima so I need to drive this while I pull my motor out of the max

cool_eh

Jan 1, 2013
winnipeg
Sorry, brakes were installed 2 weeks before head cracked back in 04, along with upper control arms and end links..
Buddy put alot into the car before his mechanic walked away

cool_eh

Jan 1, 2013
winnipeg
Lol... This is more then a little tick, its pretty loud..
And screw that and paper business, they only have to last two weeks, on jack stands running in gear wire brush attachment on a grinder with slight pressure, cleans them like new with out taking to much material off

cool_eh

Jan 1, 2013
winnipeg
Lol... I forgot to update all that were helping me...
It turns out cylinder 5 has no compression, blown motor..
So there goes my nice cheap 500 dollar special on a cool car, I now have the car parked at home and I'm going to rebuild the motor my self over the winter...
And I have it for sale for 1500
Firm, I am giving it till Sunday before I pull it off Kijiji Winnipeg website and take the motor apart and build it for next summer
Thanks all, I will keep you all posted on my engine build.

Worst part is I just got my maxima running yesterday with a used engine, I started it up and drove it to work this morning and it has developed a gear train noise.. Fukin Vq35de
pos...
I have put thousands into this car and it keeps shitting on me...
Anyone wanna buy a 04 Max that is modded and looks amazing....lol
Thanks All.. Keep I'll ya posted