Finally decided to go with fully built 7mgte

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I would get rid of the v160 in that car, just due to the fact that you need lower than a 3.55 to be able to use 1st gear.

KORYTOYORTA

Certified
Apr 10, 2008
OXNARD CA
^Really you would sacrifice having a hole extra gear for gears that would cost a couple hundred extra bucks, to me it seems like it would be more work to swap the five speed back into it.

I would just keep pn bidding on the car untill you get above the reserve or untill you dont have anymore money to spend on the car. but ya garintied that cars not going for less than 10k but who knows it may be your lucky day.

supraman2008

mk3 lover
Aug 9, 2007
houston texas
Ok guys im going 7mgte. I plan on buying forged pistons,rods,57 trim turbo,and rebuilding the whole engine from top to bottom. As soon as i get my parts in i will post some pics of everything and tell me what you think. Im aiming for 400 to the wheels hopefully i can make it with no problem. Thats why im building the engine just for saftey and that will give me room to go faster if i want to in the future.

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
Any budget for a standalone EMS? The OEM ECU with early '80's computing technology is the next "achilles heel" post a thoroughly considered engine rebuild. You're making methodological steps in your modification, therefore, don't overlook the next obvious iteration.

supraman2008

mk3 lover
Aug 9, 2007
houston texas
Well i havent posted all my mods yet. But i will as soon as i order them and recieve them. But thanks anyways for you opinion.

BlackDevilSupra;1483096 said:
Any budget for a standalone EMS? The OEM ECU with early '80's computing technology is the next "achilles heel" post a thoroughly considered engine rebuild. You're making methodological steps in your modification, therefore, don't overlook the next obvious iteration.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
400, 500, 700 HP, it doesn't matter. Those will all get you a 12 second car. I think you sound like you are making better sense shooting for 400. You need to learn the car at that level before going any higher anyway. Make sure you research the head gasket procedures, and stick to them strictly. Don't allow a machinist to tell you that you can get away with less. You don't want to have to do it again.

If I were you, I would not buy any of my parts off of eBay. There is way too much fake stuff on there. I bought a few things from there during my build that had scam threads started on here within the week about them. I sold my XTD clutch, and had my fake PTE injectors sent off and flow tested. We have vendors here who can take care of all of your needs, and they can be trusted and backed up by many of the members.

supraman2008

mk3 lover
Aug 9, 2007
houston texas
Thanks man im actually getting all of my parts from driftmotion.Its gona be a nice build i will make a bulid up thread once a get my parts in.
ForcedTorque;1483446 said:
400, 500, 700 HP, it doesn't matter. Those will all get you a 12 second car. I think you sound like you are making better sense shooting for 400. You need to learn the car at that level before going any higher anyway. Make sure you research the head gasket procedures, and stick to them strictly. Don't allow a machinist to tell you that you can get away with less. You don't want to have to do it again.

If I were you, I would not buy any of my parts off of eBay. There is way too much fake stuff on there. I bought a few things from there during my build that had scam threads started on here within the week about them. I sold my XTD clutch, and had my fake PTE injectors sent off and flow tested. We have vendors here who can take care of all of your needs, and they can be trusted and backed up by many of the members.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago

Not totally true. I got my block off Ebay. But beyond that, I wouldn't trust it, except in a very rare case. Stick to Vendors and shops with a good reputation.
-AM3

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
7m FTW!! Nah, either of the motors are good, the 7m is just the oldest of the options. I have a power goal in mind, nothing nearly as high as yours but I'm curious to see (in person) the difference in a 7m @ 400rwhp to a 2jz at the same power. If build right, the 7m's are said to be able to hang with the 2jz and be just as reliable, good luck either way. I just love the exhaust note of a 2j with 264 cams.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny

If you run 18's with street tires and cant drive. :) Im hoping for 10's with 500-600.