Finally decided to go with fully built 7mgte

supraman2008

mk3 lover
Aug 9, 2007
houston texas
Hi everyone when i first posted on here i said my goals were to make around 700 hp. Well i ended up spending way to much money with out even knowing what i was geting into.So i ended up parting out my car and now its time for another supra so now that i know reality and know how crazy expensive this can get i just dnt know if i want a 1j,2j,7mgte. This time im looking to go around 400 to 500 to the wheels. Im sure you guys can help me make the right decision with out having to go through what i went. Ive already owned a 7mgte and a 1jzgte both are great motors maybee wana go 1.5jzgte but it might not be nesesary with my hp. goals im willing to build another car or buy one thats already fast either or. All info will be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

jagpride

Nov 17, 2009
So Cal
Dude go 7m its gonna be cheaper and plus some of the guys here are making like 600+ hp.1Jz is cool but like you said money is the problem(sucks!).

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
I would say it all depends on what you want. All the engines you mentioned are more than capable of making 500+ rwhp. It also depends on your money in your pocket. I would say go 1j or 1.5j due to the 7m bhg problem. But if your going to completely rebuild the engine anyways, I would go with the 7m, but I believe it gets pretty expensive after 550+ rwhp. On any engine it gets expensive, but I beleive its a little more for the 7m ;)

If you decide on the 7m, talk to Upgradedsupra, aka Duane. He has a 7m that is pushing emense amounts of hp. Have fun man.

heres the hp list for these forums.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66742

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
7M with a properly done head gasket and bolt-ons can easily achieve 500. It's all in the turbo and supporting mods. Research heavily on how to do the head gasket. Don't just throw in a Titan 2 or 3MM head gasket because it looked cool in somebody else's mod list. i went the Lex/550 route, but would look into MAFT-PRO if I were to start over. there's plenty of info on it around here. Don't rush into whatever you choose!

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I'd shoot for a 2j or 7m. Both rebuild of course9even stock build). Like the above user stated. Errors are mostly done by owners.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
If i was starting afresh i'd be getting a 2j no doubt about it. They are newer in design and it's getting harder to find good parts for the 7m such as new heads. Most of the old ones are buggered from BHG's and years of abuse.

The machining costs on a 7m if you chose to build it properly will make it similar to a 2j anyway price wise if you find a good one. Also for those goals on 2j you won't have to pull it apart if it's a genuine low klm, bolt on a turbo kit and away you go.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
go 7nge duh lol really there great motors it all just depends on what you want and what your goals are.if you want a 7m at 400-500hp it can do it no problem if done right but its all about how you want that power made and what your into.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Go 2jz just for the fact that those motors GE and GTE are built to take more abuse.

Smart people learn from their mistakes, but wise people learn from the mistakes of others. I don’t care what anyone says the 7m is a good motor if taken care of and the owner plans out their path after taking everything into consideration. However most people don’t have the knowledge base that Aaron, Jose, Duane who’s spell his name the same as I, Ron, Dr Jonez, Crocodile Hunter IJ, Hill Billy J from Alabama :) and a few other people have to keep a high hp 7m alive.

My car has all the supporting mods to handle 500rwhp, but I am not going to be pushing my 7m that far. When my finances pick up again I will be going 2jzge-T with a 2mm head gasket and swap over my useable performance parts which are my IC pipes, injectors and I will be using the 7m wire harness so that I can go with the stinger standalone a little later b/c its going to cost me $1500 to get the stinger after the plug and play harness and shipping and then a couple hundred more for tuning. I m looking to spend $500-700 for the motor, $100 for a stock 1jz flywheel or I might by a light weight one not sure yet, $100-$200 for the head gasket, $400 the bell housing, $200 t4 manifold, and another $500 to freshen up the 2jzge with whatever little things I might need.

I am looking to spend about $2500 when I do my swap b/c I will be doing it myself and I will be using the 7m ecu, my lex afm and SAFC for a little while sooo my friend that’s about as cheap as it get ….. The total price to pay only goes up and this is without an engine build which could cost you $500-$5000 realistically depending on what is going to be done. Pay attention to all these build threads a lot people start off with a good plan but then money dries up before they can even joy the car for a minute.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
supraman2008;1478482 said:
Ok guys thanks for your advice i might just 2j or 1.5 jz but im still not sure ill keep reasearching and see whats my best option.

The 1.5jz is mostly for those who had a 1jz already and spent money on it, just switching in a 2j block. If your starting a fresh just bolt in a 2j and be done.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
2JZGE-T if I could do it over again...

1JZ is too expensive, 1.5JZ is pointless and only done if you have a 1JZ swap already done and blow the bottom end or want more displacement.

7M is a good motor if done right, but 2JZ-GE's are CHEAP and abundant locally. Only reason I haven't done it yet is money and I REALLY don't want to hack my perfect 7M-GTE harness...

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Looks good, well besides the obvious. lol

If you do it, get rid of the 6 speed tranny. Ive read that they can be kind of a picky bitch and break easily. Get an r154 and youll have a monster.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
airhead04;1478738 said:
Looks good, well besides the obvious. lol

If you do it, get rid of the 6 speed tranny. Ive read that they can be kind of a picky bitch and break easily. Get an r154 and youll have a monster.

arghhhh Post that again and I'll hurt you ;)

The Getrag's are pretty damn indestructable as long as they have the correct Oil in them and don't have a bazillion miles on them or are driven by ham fisted rock apes.

supraman2008

mk3 lover
Aug 9, 2007
houston texas
I wonder what he wants for it? I emailed him to see what hes asking i'll keep you guys posted. What do you guys think about the damage and the salvage title?? Does it really depreciate the value of the car??

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
That car is worth 10K even with the damage, don't expect it to go for less...

The V160 is only "picky" if you're a tard and miss a shift with rediculous power. ANY tranny would fail at that point as well. MKIV's run 1K+ HP thorugh em all the time without issues.