Final pay deduction?

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Well Ive been terminated, whatever, it was time to move on. However upon recieving my last check today by certified mail, I look it over to find they cashed out my vacation time for me (Thanks HR!). Then scrolling to the check part I see an $18.xx check, and notice a section listed under taxes and benefits, where it amongst normal taxes and charges it shows them keeping around $1100 as described as 'Final pay'.

AFAIK this is BS, but Ive never been terminated before so :dunno: if this is normal.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
FullNelson;1557165 said:
I need to today, but as far as I've read, its illegal to make me pay for any damages or business related expenses I could have caused..

Wyoming does require that they pay you any outstanding accrued vacation, so they weren't doing you any favors, the law compels them to do this.

In general (and remember I'm not a lawyer and these things vary from state to state) an employer can only deduct the value of any loans that you may owe, payments for damage caused by gross negligence (that one really varies from state to state) or for some sort of illegal act.

See the attachment for the Wyoming law on that topic.

If you have an employment contract or employee handbook, the terms in those usually are additive to the law. Here's an example. Vacation time is required to be cashed out by law, but sick time and personal days are not. However, your employment contract might entitle you to those even if the law says you aren't required to get them.

Labor law is a very complex topic. The best place to start is to ask them what that $1100 is for. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, contact these folks:

http://doe.wyo.gov/workers/laborrights/Pages/default.aspx

Attachments

• Wage Offset Rules.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 2

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
three words "states attorney's office" or state labor board. what they have done is very illegal. they must pay you for any and all hours/salary accrued. plain and simple. once they have terminated you they cannot charge you anything. some states like nd even require that they cut you a check on the spot. i cant remember what wy's law states but i used to be a employer in wy.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
fixitman04;1557201 said:
three words "states attorney's office" or state labor board. what they have done is very illegal. they must pay you for any and all hours/salary accrued. plain and simple. once they have terminated you they cannot charge you anything. some states like nd even require that they cut you a check on the spot. i cant remember what wy's law states but i used to be a employer in wy.

Laws are in the post above yours. There are a good number of things they can deduct, however only FullNelson can tell us if they apply in this scenario...