FilterMAG

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If your filter is doing what it should, it's completely unnecessary ;)
Particles less than 10 microns is not going to cause any harm to the motor...if you want to filter out particles in the 1-25 micron range, use a bypass filter. It will get the non-ferrous particles too ;)

It won't hurt anything though...it also is not going to live up to some of the claims the web site makes. Basically this is a "snake oil" like product. If you want to use magnets on your filter, remove the neodymium magnets (same ones the FilterMag uses) from a busted hard drive or get some on e-Bay and stick to the side of your filter.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
rather it be caught by a magnet on the drain plug before it went into the oil pump...

but if your oil is doing what it should, you shouldn't have a ton of metal in your oil to stick to the magnet...

not to mention bearing material isn't ferrous IIRC...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Poodles said:
not to mention bearing material isn't ferrous IIRC...

Correct...hence my comment on a bypass filter capturing "non-ferrous" particles. ;)

There "should" be very little a magnet will catch in the filter...a magnet in the pan plug for motor oil is almost as useless. This is not like a tranny or differential that has no filter.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Thanks for the feedback John ;)

I went ahead and purchased a cheap set of 5 Neodymium magnets: Rating N45 (almost the strongest rating) 2"X.5"X.1875".

Should work out just fine on the DD. ;)

They've already been mailed, so when they come in, I'll put them on the oil filter that's on now and see what I've got when it's time for the next oil change (just changed the filter).

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Got the magnets in last thursday and put them on the car right away (well, right after I played with them for a minute. Pretty strong little buggers, pinched my fingers real good :D) I'll report back within about 3500 miles.