Filter Minder

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
There's no question they flow better but:

1) It only matters at WOT (at less there's already a built in restriction: the throttle plate) and even then only if the engine is highly modified. The truth is a paper filter will flow all the air most engines ever need. You may not hear the turbo with one but if that's important you have bigger problems than an air filter will solve.

2) The filter is never the limiting factor in an induction system. The plumbing is. This can be easily verified using a manometer.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Do you think the stock airbox (plumbing) is a significant restriction compared to the rest of the of the intake? I guess I'd like to see the dP from ambient to turbo intake for the stock box vs the aftermarket solutions. There is so little real data for any of this aftermarket stuff.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I'm going to say no except for higher HP engines. Course, the only way to know for sure with a particular setup is to measure it. In my case the indicator wouldn't latch at even the first step during runs to 12 psi. Before it was installed I measured with a peak hold electronic manometer twice a year for filter checks and the drop was always minimal. I typically changed the filter at 22 in/wc and it would take a lot of miles to get there. People change (or clean) the things way too often. And in case you didn't know, on an EFI engine fuel economy is unaffected by filter loading. It does effect power to some degree of course.