Figured I would share my thoughts

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
Hey my fellow supramania friends. I just figured i would share my thoughts with you guys and gals. I came home about 45 minutes ago and walked over to my supra, well my supras. And just stood there staring at my new one in the moonlight. Thinking. Although my thoughts were straying away to a different place earlier today...i was thinking about completly getting out of the supra world. It was just too much. From my new one being all rusted out, my friend not having time to fix it, me thinking i just wanted to buy an Audi and say goodbye to supras. For a long time. :3d_frown: But after standing there looking at it in the moonlight, i thought to myself I really really dont want to do that. I've come to realize how much i really love these cars. I was like I am NOT parting this one out. I'm going to fix it. Seeing as how my last supra was amazing and costed so much and i crashed it two months after getting it on the road. I cant just kick another one to the curb and say "F it". So now im going to do all i can to fix this one up. Also i remember I.J saying something about it being a good parts car..well its true but i honestly cant do it! :( But here are my obsticals.

1. There is a substancial amount of rot on this car, located in the wheel wells which i will provide you with some pictures i took a little while ago. Also some rot on the outside of the wheel wells. And passenger door (a little).

2. Fuel pump bad. (I am in the process of swapping gas tanks from my old one to the new one). Have pics of that too.

3. Something wrong with the factory alarm. (Car wont start) So my friend by-passed it wth a wire or something, i dont really know what he did.

But sorry about the novel i just wanted to share my thoughts with people that would understand me. :icon_razz

Now on to the pics.

pics of the rot arent that good but it gives you an idea.

p960587_1.jpg

p960587_2.jpg

p960587_3.jpg

p960587_4.jpg

p960587_5.jpg

:aigo: I know its bad.

Gas tank and my old supe: R.I.P. Black Beauty :cry:

p960587_6.jpg

p960587_7.jpg

p960587_8.jpg

p960587_9.jpg

Few pics of the new supe (87' Turbo Hardtop 5spd 158k)

p960587_10.jpg

p960587_11.jpg

p960587_12.jpg

p960587_13.jpg

p960587_14.jpg

yeah the new one needs paint too. But tell me what you think. I appreciate anyone that reads the whole thing and gives me their opinion. :icon_surp

- Chad aka Turbodreamz..

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
akito;960644 said:
Man, not to be mean but thats a rust bucket you got there. What is actually wrong with the black one?

After crashing the black one the frame got bent. I dont have 2 grand to fix it. And its juts not worth it. I happend last july anyway. I've moved on :cry: Besides its just the wheel wells that are rotted....well there is rust underneath the car too.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
if you have the time and money you can try and get the body work done on the new car to get rid of all that rust, but you may want to look into swapping parts into a rust free shell.

body work will likely not be cheap to fix all that cancer.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Man, there's going to be a lot of work put into this car. But if you are determined to get her on the road and all nice again then you'd have to do it.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Keep looking for a rust free shell. For the price of all that rust repair and paint, you could probably find a good one...unless you can do it yourself? It's cool to bring 'em back, but that looks like some serious repair work. gl!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Strip the black one and put it on a rack and build 1 decent car out of the 2.

The big component is straightening a shell is them removing and refitting parts if you rock up with a bare shell on a trailer it's not going to cost a lot.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
That is too much rust. I would move on and find a better one. You will outlay a lot more to fix it than getting a rust free shell.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
that is even too much rust for me...and my car was rusty.

if you are dead set on saving that one, have somebody cut the rear quarters/wheel wells out of a parts car and have them welded on to your car. As far as I know, I got the last available outer fender wells from toyota in north america, so you might be out of luck there.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
I was talking to my boss today and he was like whats wrong with your car? And i told him. He's like if i was you i would just part it out and find a better one. Besides ill get more if i part it. And from what you guys are telling me i think im just going to buy another one. One that actually runs this time. I'm starting to save. Wish me luck and i will be on craigslist everyday. :icon_surp

Sucks it would be too much to fix the blue one. I dont want to get rid of it but i might have to. :cry:

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Turbo, welcome to owning a MKIII that has lived in NE all its life and never garaged. lol. Find another shell, there are TONS in CT/MA/NH area.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
^^ well not tons of shells. But believe me im on craigslist every single day. lol And i look in the want ad every week. There havent been any in the want ad for like 4 months lol. But always some in craigslist. BUT I've made up my mind. I'm saving my money and buying a decent one :icon_surp If you go to the western mass page on craigslist there's a white 90' turbo targa auto for sale for $3800 if its still available ill get it. We'll see.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
to bad i didn't know you were looking for a shell.i junked an 89 turbo shell last august.
there is also one down here in somerset for sale.it's a burgandy pre89 which i'm going to take a look at tommorow(for the hell of it)if someone is there to talk too,i'll see what they want and let you know.
keith

Oct 2, 2006
Denver
Fix it.

It's so much more work to swap all of your parts on to another car, unless you find one that is relatively complete anyway. And at that point, it's moot. I wouldn't bother parting anything out. Just sell the rusted car and save the time. It's not worth parting out for another vehicle.

I only wish that my '68 Charger had that much rust. I'm replacing an entire trunk floor, extensions and outer wheelhouses in that car. The sheet metal alone will run me over $2G that I need for that body, just to get something that I can blast, straighten, prime and paint.

Our MKIII doesn't have any rust, but if it did, you'd bet I would be out there drilling spot welds, cutting new 16ga steel with my snips, welding and shaping with a hammer and dolly.

Old cars get rust. Unless you have the means to fix it when it happens (not if, it will happen), you should just plan on paying someone to do it or stick with a new car and keep it garaged, and more importantly, never drive it in dirt and bad weather.

If you tell me what you need as far as sheet metal goes, I can probably salvage some from a yard for you, sandblast it, step it with my sheet metal stepper and make a patch for you for cheap that is ready to stick in.

Hell, for that matter, if you didn't want to weld anything or if you couldn't, why not go buy a cartridge of 3M panel bonding epoxy and some C jaw vise grips and glue it in place? It works extremely well and is used in the collision repair industry all the time for doing things just like that. I've never had a problem using it in all of my years. I don't use it for everything, but on a non structural unibody repair, it works great and saves time hammering and cooling welds to keep distortion away. DOT crash tests cars with this product used and it doesn't fail. I have seen sheet metal tear next to this stuff. I wouldn't use it on a frame, but for a rot patch in a wheelhouse, that seems perfectly logical to me and it will seal better than a weld and seam sealer anyway.

Get a good section of tin to replace past where it's rusted, make some clean cuts, leave room for a 1/2" overlap, step the metal, glue it, sand it, fill it and paint it. Done deal.

Last edited:

supra8903

Jan 12, 2006
Latham, NY
here is what you need to do..... buy mine, and then part your 2 out, plus ill give you all my stock parts to sell..... it will be like ur getting my car for 1/2 price

ps.... mine needs no work