Figgie: E-85 conversion for the MKIII Supra

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
My MKIII Supra conversion to e-85

By Figgie – Supramania.com and supraforums.com

The contents represented in this paper are the steps I undertook in my 87 supra Turbo to convert it from running on straight gasoline/Petrol to run with e-85 or gasoline/Petrol. This is based on my research with numerous fuel pump companies, hose companies and stand alone companies. Credit is noted where the information came from at the end of this paper.

Introduction

Well I have been a supraforums.com member and supramania.com member for quite some time. The objective of this project was to do something no one had ever done in the supra community and that was to run e-85 in the Turbo MKIII Supra as a daily driver. What this means is that I would use E-85 exclusively unless there was none available. For Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota this is not an issue as E-85 is available at 87% of all gas stations within the Twin Cities. The other reason for my undertaking of this project was to see if I could do it without any major help from any professionals. I am a Senior Server analyst by day time so this was a completely different that what I am used to J

The guinea pig

The project required that the car was capable of running on E-85 on the original engine, meaning no custom head and no custom block. The recipient I chose was a Black with Grey interior, 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo. I am the second owner of this vehicle. I have owned this car since 1994 when I purchased it in Rapid City, South Dakota. It has gone to Miami, Florida a couple of times then from Florida to the Minneapolis, Minnesota where it currently resides under my ownership still. The car suffered an engine failure at about 200,000 miles from rod knock, so this is what got this project going.

Research

Digging through the internet was a valuable asset as there was ethanol conversion from the early 70 during the first initial oil crisis here in the USA. Of course back then all cars where carburetor based so it was a bit different but the fuel requirements stayed the same. With the introduction of E-85, ethanol started to become readily available and this made the conversion possible. E- 85 is slightly corrosive. No where near the level of Methanol or MTBE. Now with that said it is still corrosive to rubber and mild steel. So if there is no plating on the mild steel it needs to be replaced. Rubber will expand and become to soft to contain any pressure, meaning that all rubber hoses and O-rings (fuel injectors) need to be replaced. The fuel pump needs to be swapped to an e-85 fuel pump.

And now on to the project

This is where the fun begins.

(DISCLAIMER: This is a presentation only and not to be construed as a step by step on how to do this conversion. I hereby release myself from any damage caused by you, either by consequential or inconsequential use of this presentation. If you decide to do this, you do it at your own risk.)

Needed:
Electrical know – how
Motor operation Theory
EFI Operation theory
Wideband sensor and guage
E-85 compatible fuel pump
Alcohol compatible hose
Someone that can TIG weld mild steel
Tools

Optional:
MIG or TIG Welder
Standalone ECU or piggy back (E-manage or MAFT-PRO)
Buddy
Beer or Soda
Pizza

Ok with this project there are certain aspects that we must address. Any mild steel that has not been plated has to be removed. Any aluminum where the E-85 is in constant contact has to be anodized (the fuel rail is an example, the head is not as the E-85 is in an suspended state and does not puddle in the head). Any rubber part has to be replaced with either Stainless lines or Teflon lines. Aeroquip hose will work but has to be inspected regularly. If the hose is Teflon lined it is Alcohol compatible.

With this in mind,

The first order of business is to remove the stock 7M Fuel rail. This is to address a couple of things here.

• The rubber O-rings in the injectors NEED to be changed to Viton/Viton II based O-Rings.
  • The Aluminum fuel rail has to be anodized and preferably type III anodization.
  • The fuel injectors need to be replaced with a bigger injector. Recommend at least 20% bigger which happen to be the 550cc/min injectors for the LEX-AFM mod.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Once the fuel rail is replaced and items addressed. The next part to be addressed is the fuel pump and the fuel lines. Neither the stock nor the walbro fuel pump can be used for this project. The fuel pump MUST be E-85/Alcohol compatible. The reason is a safety concern. Inside the fuel tank, when using Petrol/Gasoline the environment is too rich to ignite (8.7:1 AFR = Lambda 1). This environment changes when using E-85. It goes to a near perfect stoichiometry value for the E-85 (9.7:1 AFR = Lambda 1) meaning that if the fuel pump is not sealed it WILL ignite the vapors inside the gas tank and that would not be good for your vehicle or for your life. Now the question becomes who has E-85 compatible fuel pumps? Simple, for not to much above stock power levels, General Motors, GMC, Dodge, Ford have Fuel pumps which are E-85 compatible. Which one are the right E-85 fuel pumps? Answer: The ones for their Chevrolet Suburban’s, Chevrolet Blazers, GMC Yukon, GMC Yukon XL or any of GM’s 5.3 Liter engines. For a current list of FFV vehilcles go to

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php
or
http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/progs/search_type.cgi?1/E85_GSLN

This might or might not fit the stock hanger. More than likely it will not and will need to have the hanger modified to fit, the same with the electrical and fuel lines.

If going for big horsepower the entire fuel picture changes. Reason is that for high horsepower there are only several electrical fuel pumps that can support 1000 HP on the alcohol side. These are the following:

Weldon 2345
Magnafuel Prostar EFI SQ series
Product Engineering PE4600
Most belt driven fuel pumps from Aeromotive, Barry Grant, Magnafuel can also supply the needed volume at high pressure to run high HP on E-85.

With the fuel pump addressed we now go to the fuel lines. Not all fuel lines are alcohol compatible, some that are:

Icore/ProGold/BMRS convoluted PTFE hoses (
Aeromotive Teflon hose
Earls Teflon Hose
Russell’s Teflon hose.
Goodyear Ambassador, BC Gasoline, Flexsteel Hardwall, Pacer

Any of these company’s rubber based Stainless steel hoses will not survive long with E-85. You have been warned.

I would recommend a minimum of -06 lines to the fuel rail and an alcohol compatible Fuel pressure regulator. The Aeromotivbe A1000 is alcohol compatible, is a good value and is widely available.

Using any of the aforementioned High HP pumps, the stock fuel tank must be sumped. This is easily done as the MKIII supra fuel tank is made of steel. There are two universal sumps currently available;

one is made by competition engineering
And the other is made by Aeromotive

Both require expert welding skills and the necessary purging to prevent an explosion. If you are not familiar with this, do not attempt to install these sumps on your gas tank. Take it to a qualified welder.

After this part is done The fuel system is ready for E-85 and gasoline duties.

Now comes the harder part which is the ECU. The piggy backs that can work with E-85 are the MAFT-PRO and the E-manage. Both can change the apparently air flow to make the system read what It does with OEM. Reason being is that with the install of the 550cc/min injectors. You are throwing in about 20% more fuel which puts it roughly where it needs to be. Put gasoline and with the aforementioned piggy backs, you can change the air flow measurements to read less (like going to a LEX AFM) this will in turn make the car drivable with gasoline if E-85 is not available.

The ideal solution (and the route I took) would be a standalone that allows the use of multiple fuel maps. AEM, Motec, Haltec, Tec3, Wolf3d, EFI Systems, Autronic all support multiple fuel mappings. The trick is to adjust for the alcohol which all the standalones mentioned can.

I will not go over stand alone installs as if you don’t know how to do that you should not be attempting tackling this project by yourself.

If there are any questions, critiques or any improvements that can be made. Please PM me in Supramania.com or Supraforums.com.

Thank you

-Figgie

Attachments

• Supra Conversion to E85.doc
    811.5 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
I never considered running E-85 or any alcohol type fuel.

However, this does change my view on it and maybe I will do a fuel system of this type in the future.

This is a great write up. Good contribution to the lifting of our limitations.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Do you have a switch where if you cannot find any e85 that you can just flip and use gas? And can you use the same tank?

Thanks.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
geezes, where was this?? 4 years ago already. :eek:

Before anyone says anything about the hoses. I mentioned rubber in all the hoses for a reason. Rubber will not survive. Most new hoses are a synthetic mix that will survive. :) Wow look at all the pretty pictures inside the Word Document.. lol.

aznboik1mva
you are welcomed. I totally forgot about this. Nice memories. :)

customs
glad you liked, Use away.

arknotts
It has been that long that I forgot I wrote this.

hvyman
the nice thing about time is that technologies catch up. Now a days, the use of a flexfuel sensor precludes the need for a map switch. ProEFI can adjust mappings accordingly when paired with the flexfuel sensor. MoTeC can use 4d Tables to adjust fuel and ignition based on E% when aired with a Flex Fuel sensor. So whether you use 100% gasoline, 5% gasoline/ethanol blend, 10% G/E blend, 70% G/E or 85% G/E blends. The flexfuel sensors measures the alcohol % and makes the ECU adjust accordingly.

As a matter of fact

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1CzmmMUy50

here is the ProEFI setup for the flex fuel sensor input, the EMS adjusts automatically by itself :)

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
The flex fuel sensor is a really basic 0-5V signal, and and I like to think it hasn't been perfected yet in the aftermarket. This said I have been running E85 for sometime now on my supra. Most everyone up here runs the stuff with a turbo car.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
funky_monkey58;1610465 said:
The flex fuel sensor is a really basic 0-5V signal, and and I like to think it hasn't been perfected yet in the aftermarket. This said I have been running E85 for sometime now on my supra. Most everyone up here runs the stuff with a turbo car.

Taking the megasquirt information at face value

http://www.megamanual.com/flexfuel.htm

it is a digital frequency based signal with frequency tied to ethanol % and the pulse width of the signal tied to temprature of the fuel. Unless the EMS in question can read the digital signal, the EMS (example: AEM V1) will require the use of the Zeitronix Ethanol Content Analyzer to feed it an analog signal (0-5v).

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Non-anodized aluminum will work. The gasoline in E85 is the "lubricant" and works well as an inhibitor.

If it was E98.. then anodizing would be a must. E85 = at users discretion.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
figgie;1614504 said:
Non-anodized aluminum will work. The gasoline in E85 is the "lubricant" and works well as an inhibitor.

If it was E98.. then anodizing would be a must. E85 = at users discretion.

The gasoline in E85 (summer) and E75 (winter) is acting a little bit lika an lubricant, but it's not enough in the long run when it comes to bare aluminum.
It will be damaged and it will leave a pink residue on almost everything. Regular fillups with "pure" gasoline is required or even add a little bit of oil every now and then.

The safest choice as fuel lines are stainless hard lines. Mild steel will rust, copper will release particles (which will clog the injectors) and all plastics/rubbers will age quicker.
The lesser plastic/rubber lines will also release particles.

There are stainless braided rubber lines with an inner sleave of some other material that can cope with ethanol very good.

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
Thanks for the writeup-can you explain why sumping the tank is absolutley neccesary? I am about to redo my fuel system and not sure if I was going to run e85(only one gas station in my area that has it) but I wanted to have the option to switch to it as more gas stations began to carry it...

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Yea, I wish florida had more gas stations that carried E85. If they had, I would have considered doing this ALONG time ago. But Unfortunately, I dont see florida dropping the coin to add more pumps for E85. I believe there are 12 gas stations in ALL of Florida that carry E85. And the closest one to me is on Turkey Lake Road Plaza, in orlando. =[

Is it possible to order E85 in 50 gallon drums?