Fiberglass Flares or Pumped Guards?

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
Im looking at getting some wide rims, something like volk gt-c face 2's.
I want to get the widest tyres possible and some wider rims/tyres up the front without loosing any steering lock.
Looking at somewhere like 275/285 sized tyres in the rear and somewhere around 245 at the front (thats not too wide isit?)
Now Im going to be dropping the car off to get resprayed and guards pumped or flared depending on the width of the rims I go with.

Has anyone flared or pumped their guards and is there any pics I can see so I can get a general idea? The panelshop guy told me he can pump the guards out about 10-15mm, anything after that you need to modify the underneith liners and get fiberglas flares made.

Ive seen the sites with all body kits on mk3's and some look quite nice but Im after something thats not over the top more inline with keeping the shape and just making the flares look part of the classic widebody shape.
Something thats similar like on r34gtr's and evo's? just not so tacked on looking.

Any ideas or thoughts will be appreciated.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
More info would help (about the tire sizing that is), such as wheel offset and width.
I'm running 255 40 17's on all fours, (wheels are 17x9s with a 27mm offset). My car sits on tein SS's and the only problem I run into is a little fender rub on hard bumps at speeds over 45mph. I'm getting ready to roll the front fenders but not widen them and this will solve my little problem ;) (the tein SS's are a bit too soft for my liking)

Last edited:

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
im running 18's with 245 in the front and 275 in the rear, I dont have any problems with rubbing and my car is very low. Intrax lowering springs and stock shocks (yikes! time for coilovers)

Jon

MK3Fury

Jul 16, 2006
Middletown, OH
GotTurbos? said:
im running 18's with 245 in the front and 275 in the rear, I dont have any problems with rubbing and my car is very low. Intrax lowering springs and stock shocks (yikes! time for coilovers)

Jon

what rims are those? I am definitely diggin em.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
MK3Fury said:
what rims are those? I am definitely diggin em.

Ruff racing 279's

here is a better pic... you can also see how low my car is and see if you think it will be a problem on your setup.

supraahouse001dz3.jpg

and I already replaced the trim on the rear window.

Jon

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
SupraOfDoom said:
I ordered a set of 18x9.5 rims from volk all the way around but I havent got them in yet.

you better be tossin up pics of em once you get em, i want to see the fitment on the car badly.

i plan on going with a simaler size for my next set of wheels. i grow tired of 17x8 and 9... even if i have only driven on em for a week... :biglaugh: