FFIM

00Si87Supra

Aug 4, 2006
Lafayette Louisiana
Ok I've searched and searched, but to no answer.

Here's my question. With a front facing intake manifold, what kind of wiring is needed to be done to the wiring harness...I'd most likly use the Q45(I think thats it) throttle body, but like what else besides wiring that throttle body in is involved?

Truth be told, I've been planning to do a 1JZ swap, but I have a good 7M-GTE sitting in a parts car. So I'm going to rebuild that, goal being around 450-500 HP. Also is there a company that make the FFIM's? I've been hearing alot of good things on a RonR manifold, but can't find anyone that sells them.

Thanks for the help.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
aapmotorsports in atlanta will make them. but it's gonna cost you double what you'd pay for ron to make one. and it doesn't come with an alt bracket.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
u dont need a FFIM for 450ish hp.... the stock one supports i dunno like 500+ some where aroudn there, prolly more...

if u have huge ass power goal or wanna clean up the engine bay then yea go for the FFIM

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
FFIM's are not nessesary. They are a hoax. The highest stock bodied mkIII I've ever seen was on a ported and polished stock intake manifold. 684rwhp on boost, and 730rwhp with some laughing gas. http://7mpower.com/will_neely.shtml
(this was all on stock cams too!!!!!!)

just do your homework, and you'll see that ffim's aren't nessesary, they clean up the engine bay, and cut a little turbo lag.... in theory anyway. Im sticking with my stock mani, and shooting for 500rwhp. Shouldn't be a problem.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
rons got a waiting list and is on again off again.

ffims are great items if you can afford a decent one. there is a noticable drop in lag time and is a much cleaner bay. you can mess with alot more stuff taking fewer things off.

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
gilberjj said:
FFIM's are not nessesary. They are a hoax. The highest stock bodied mkIII I've ever seen was on a ported and polished stock intake manifold. 684rwhp on boost, and 730rwhp with some laughing gas. http://7mpower.com/will_neely.shtml
(this was all on stock cams too!!!!!!)

just do your homework, and you'll see that ffim's aren't nessesary, they clean up the engine bay, and cut a little turbo lag.... in theory anyway. Im sticking with my stock mani, and shooting for 500rwhp. Shouldn't be a problem.

They arn't hoax's. yes they aren't neccesary, but they do improve throttle response since your elminating a massive amount of piping. plus it does look quite a lot better.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
00Si87Supra said:
Ok so if I stay with the way it is, is the stock throttle body good for 450-500 hp?

I think everybody will generally agree that the stock system (minus the piping and intercooler) is efficient. So yes, the stock throttle body is good for 450-500. Yes the ffim looks GREAT. the stock piping route isn't IDEAL, but its been proven to get the job done. If you ahve the money, and you really want to do it. Go for it. The mod isn't nessesary but increases flow, throttle response, and imo looks too. To each his own, and I'll never get one, cause i have a lot more things on my list that i would rather have.

00Si87Supra

Aug 4, 2006
Lafayette Louisiana
Well if yall say the stock throttle body will take my goal, then no reason to change it. Yea, I'll upgrade the piping and all. Thanks for all the help..I'm just trying to build a nice clean Supra, the cars previous owner was one of my good friends, so when he wrapped his Prelude around a pole and was ejected and killed, I decided to build this car in his name.

Again thanks for the help.

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
gilberjj said:
I think everybody will generally agree that the stock system (minus the piping and intercooler) is efficient. So yes, the stock throttle body is good for 450-500. Yes the ffim looks GREAT. the stock piping route isn't IDEAL, but its been proven to get the job done. If you ahve the money, and you really want to do it. Go for it. The mod isn't nessesary but increases flow, throttle response, and imo looks too. To each his own, and I'll never get one, cause i have a lot more things on my list that i would rather have.

im sorry where you there when tony made 822 rwhp on a 7m using a ffim, also check out the 7m drag rail, they use one as well. now for my opinion being on my 3rd mkIII and my 2nd ffim. i can tell you it is immensly worth it, while 500 hp is easily attainable on a stock mani, it is even easier and cleaner with a ffim. it is one of the first mods i would personally reccomend. but your opinion is yours and mine is mine.
btw: how long does it take you to change your plugs at the drag strip? cuz it takes me less than 5 mins. :) worth it for me right there

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
you can make 500hp on the stock intake mani, but whos to say you wouldnt make more power with the exact same setup but with a FFIM? if you truly want to see the benefit, you would need a side by side comparison.

for me, easier access to the spark plugs, less piping, cleaner bay, etc make it worthwhile.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
Enraged said:
you can make 500hp on the stock intake mani, but whos to say you wouldnt make more power with the exact same setup but with a FFIM? if you truly want to see the benefit, you would need a side by side comparison.

for me, easier access to the spark plugs, less piping, cleaner bay, etc make it worthwhile.

ok..... heres the deal...... in a perfect world, i too would have a ffim. i can weld, but right now at college away from home i don't have the time or resources to make one, also, i can't have my car down for that long (its my main transportation). im not disagreeing with you that they are affective and they look great. what im calling into question is their effectiveness. for a ron r manifold, costs 500. plus id have to sell my set-up, buy pipes, and a new intercooler. if i did REAL well, and bought cheaper do it yourself intercooler piping for the ffim, i would still need to shell out AT LEAST 500. for 500, i could buy nitrous...... now i know for a fact that nitrous improves throttle responce and overall power a lot more than a ffim. however there is the tradeoff of always having to pay for nitrous, while once you have a ffim, it doesn't require any more cost. i don't know....... sure its nice, but i don't see it as a super nessesary mod. its kinda preference, like bb vs. journal bearing. sure bb is better, but is it $600 BETTER???? who knows...... im not hateing on you guys, just trying to explain myself

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
i understand what you mean, but first off, who uses nitrous all the time.... in fact who uses it more than 1-2% off the time.... i use my ffim 100%, and 500$ is weak that is hardly any money at all, especially for such a great mod, right now the only negative side is you saying that 500$ is too much for you, and there are tons of pro's to having one. but 500$ is what 2 paychecks at most for a part time student. and you will pay a lot more for any other part with that many benifits. and last of all even for rons mani 800$ think of what the mkiv guys pay for the veilside or virtual works mani. 2000$ plus....... i even think honda guys pay more than that for their tiny manifolds.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
i just bought my lipp intercooler piping, and a bigger intercooler over christmas break. im happy with it, and its good for 500rwhp. i also just bought a greddy manifold, dp, and hks wastegate. but i still don't have a turbo, injectors, or clutch, plus i have to save for a tune....... maybe in a year...... who knows. i need to see some side by side comparisons or, maybe just everyone telling me to switch, otherwise im fine with sticking with what already works for me.......