FFIM question.

mk3

Apr 11, 2008
Australia
friend suggested i make my own FFIM by using a 1j FFIM and cut/welded on the 7m bottom ?

any one done this ?
any one think it would work ?

let me know your thoughts thanks :)

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Its been done, you'll have to do a search to find the one, but I think you need to make an adapter plate because the runners don't line up exactly.

2_TonedMKIII

Rarety
Jul 28, 2006
Orlando, Fl
It's been done. I made mine using the Greddy MKIV surge tank. In my opinion alot easier than stock 7m to 1j ffim, however also in my opinion I would just buy one. At the moment I can't remember who makes them now.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Personally after building 10's of custom ones and as well doing modification on stock manifolds it is easier to just go fully custom. You start dealing with not being able to port the inside, port matching, and dirty cast metal.

Just my 2cents!

Seth

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
honestabe;1119666 said:
Ron R.(JT2MA71) is currently making FFIM's, but he has quite the waiting list.

I heard this rumor that a guy in VA makes em too...Seth something or other ;)

The advantage I can see to modding a 1J/2J intake is that it would look factory made. If you are going for that kind of look it might be worth it. If you simply were looking for a cheap FFIM, go custom.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
honestabe;1119850 said:
Sethron? Something like that. I remember reading about that too, but I couldn't find anything on it.

Psst...he posted right above you up a couple posts. ;)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
honestabe;1119850 said:
Sethron? Something like that. I remember reading about that too, but I couldn't find anything on it.

[strike]No... that's not it... but it's something like that. I think it actually starts with a "G"... or was it a "W"? hmmm, I'll post back if I think on it.[/strike]

I REMEMBER!!!! It rhymes with Exxon! (or was it Chevron?)

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
Seth recently made one for me it turned out awesome! i'll post pics after i take some, it polished up nicely too :] after i go standalone id like another one with out the ISC/CSI flanges so it'll look clean. hope you'll still be making manifolds in a couple years seth!

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I'd have to agree with the above posters and go fully custom. For the money I have in my IJ to 7M FFIM, I could have easily gone custom for less. They do look pretty good mounted, but the inside is not smooth at all. Not to mention, getting around the TPS issue is a RPITA!!!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The majority of owners don't need it, and lose a broad powerband for higher peak numbers from the shorter runners and larger plenum.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Nick M;1120674 said:
The majority of owners don't need it, and lose a broad powerband for higher peak numbers from the shorter runners and larger plenum.

Not true at all with a long runner custom manifold. You only lose about 2" of runner in return for a bit larger plenum. But any low end lost from the shorter runners is more then gained back in the IC piping which is half the length of stock! As for short runner manifolds I completely agree as mine have almost double the plenum volume! I recommend them for applications of 600rwhp+ and everyone else I recommend the long runner manifolds for.

HTH,
Seth

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
All true at all. You describe just what I said.

uh, i will happily lose a lil on the powerband to get rid of an assload of piping and a lot less throttle response. If its not needed why did the 2j and 1j get them?

Actually, with most the pictures I see, you lose a large in the powerband for a small gain. And don't make things up like a lot less throttle response.