ffim discussion

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
I'm in the market for a FFIM. But I don't want to use a stock tb. Kinda dumb to upgrade the ic system and intake manifold but leave the throttle body stock. C'mon guys, just upgrade while you're there

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
you need flow #'s not saying that your not a good guy and would be doing us all a fav. But Id be damned if I ran your intake and I pop my motor bec of unequal flow to the cylinders. You will need hard #'s to get my $ dyno and a power balance of each piston. I know the stock intake works for my power level so I think more people should ask them selves will this mod work 100% (not just for this for every mod or part) and will it do what I want it to. I think if that happened there would be more running 7m's out there and less crying on the forums.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Spanish Surprise;1985590 said:
I'm in the market for a FFIM. But I don't want to use a stock tb. Kinda dumb to upgrade the ic system and intake manifold but leave the throttle body stock. C'mon guys, just upgrade while you're there

Only reason I'd ever upgrade my stock throttle body is if I used 3" intercooler piping.. No reason to use a 3" throttle body when I'm only using 2.5" piping.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
1-2clutch-u;1985725 said:
you need flow #'s not saying that your not a good guy and would be doing us all a fav. But Id be damned if I ran your intake and I pop my motor bec of unequal flow to the cylinders. You will need hard #'s to get my $ dyno and a power balance of each piston. I know the stock intake works for my power level so I think more people should ask them selves will this mod work 100% (not just for this for every mod or part) and will it do what I want it to. I think if that happened there would be more running 7m's out there and less crying on the forums.

Now to toss a little turbulence into your logic, what makes you think a FFIM that anyone has made so far was truly 'tuned' with flow characteristics. Do you really think you'll get a bench flowed intake manifold for under a thousand bucks?

Anyone with a FFIM knows that the 6th cylinder can get good air flow if the plenum is shaped correctly but what about the first? Now all of this applies to a naturally aspirated engine, what you're failing to remember is these plenums are pressurized, so anytime the valve opens air is being forced into the cylinder, you don't have to worry about a draw.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Flow was a big discussion on the DSM boards. I saved a animated cfd that shows this, and flow is pretty equal in a boosted application. Ill locate it when I get home.

I also think, unless your building a track only car, a 65-70mm t/b is more than plenty. larger and you start to lose off idle drivabilty unless you fab up a progressive linkage/cable setup.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
the plan is to design it with a wedge shape. most of the ones i see for sale are just a tube. that isn't optimal for flow. on the other hand, the intake is pressurized, so it may not be as big a deal as we think.