FFIM, AEM, Q45 & IAC setup?

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Well I am in the process of finishing up the odds and ends before installing my motor. My question is. I am using a FFIM with a port for the IAC. I am using an AEM ems and a Q45 TB. Being Im not using the TB water lines do I still have to route the water lines through the IAC. As for the line going to the accordian hose from the iac, I assume is pulling idle vacuum? Can i just run that line to a vac port on the intake?

OR can I just delete this and use the AEM to control this? Keep in mind that I live in south Ga. The cold weather is VERY minimal if this is a factor?

Last edited:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
You'll probably be going speed density so running water threw the throttle isn't really a big deal....sometimes the throttle shaft itself can be a boost leak so in some cars you should run them....in a stock 7m it's best to keep them I believe but still the throttle sits on top the engine so it will eventually heat up and expand and close up any boost leaks....

You can bypass or plug...up to you

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
And what exactly are you talking about "vacume"? The port in the intake flange is for coolant feed...into the iscv...to the throttle...then down into the hard pipe that runs around the block back into the water pump..

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Your post is confusing, but I will try to help you anyway.

There are two separate ways you can go with this. The Q45 throttle body has a built-in idle speed increase if coolant lines are attached. With this, you could eliminate the ISC completely, and also not require the AEM to have any control of the idle speed (just enrichment).

The second way, is to eliminate the idle speed control system on the TB and run the ISC. For this, you don't need to run coolant lines to the TB or ISC (though their presnce could prevent icing in some situations...i personally don't run them and haven't run into issues yet). You will have to control the ISC valve with the AEM. The ISC vacuum line (~5/8") will need to be run pre-turbo. This line needs to take in air from a source upstream of the throttle body, and not pressurized.

Hopefully this helps.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
OK i confused myself reading the crap i posted. I am referring to the iac. It has 2 water ports and one that routs to the accordion pipe. I can bypass the water ports but what about the one to the accordion? Can I run it to the intake manifold directly? Or can I just bypass the iac entirely?

BTW this is not a stock motor and the throttle body is not above the engine.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You can bypass the coolant line - do not block off. This has noting to do with running speed density...the coolant lines to the TB and ISCV are to prevent intake icing under certain humidity/temp conditions. It does not have to be at freezing or below for this to happen.

You can delete the ISCV hose with an AEM EMS - put one of those little filters on the ISCV intake fitting.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
VooDoo;1468627 said:
OK i confused myself reading the crap i posted. I am referring to the iac. It has 2 water ports and one that routs to the accordion pipe. I can bypass the water ports but what about the one to the accordion? Can I run it to the intake manifold directly? Or can I just bypass the iac entirely?

BTW this is not a stock motor and the throttle body is not above the engine.

There is no water ports that route to the accordion....that is a vacume port and with an aem you don't need to route it there...instead you can just
put a filter on the vac port of the iscv.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Thats what I meant 3 total 2 water and one to accordion. So I cant just delete this? If not then thats fine but if I can I would rather do that. I just want for it to be able to tune well and not fight idle issues.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
if you want your isc valve to be active, you cannot delete the line. either run to the intake or run a line with a filter on the end of it.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Yes you can delete the two coolant lines, as mentioned they were to stop icing. With the AEM you can simply put a filter on the the ISC where the line that usually goes to the accordion would attach to the ISC. The AEM takes car of that and the only reason for the hose was to pull metered air from the AFM when controlling idle. In speed density with the AEM it is not necessary as you will delete the AFM.

HTH,
Seth