fel pro no more? which hg then

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
my brother works at an autoparts store and when i asked him to get me a fel pro head gasket kit he was told that they changed their name to Rock gaskets. I told him that I was qouted $363 for a fel pro kit on wednesday and he said that he was told that's because they're selling what's left of them. My brother was also told that they have the same part number and he says that the box says fel pro on the back in small writing.

So should I get the Rock headgasket kit? They have that or the oem headgasket (he says it's made by Ishino, but that the description says "oem"). I don't want to buy from anywhere else because he has a 50% discount.

Last edited:

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I dont know what parts store he works at but they are full of shit. Rock and Ishino are both cheaper imported gaskets that are not close to the same quality as a Fel Pro or Victor Reinz.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I called my brother and told him what you guys said and he said that they do carry Victor Reinz, so he's gonna see if they (the store) sell a kit for the supra. I'll post what he finds out when he gets a chance to call me back, he's at work right now. Thanks for the responses

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
how about you just got to sipracing and order a cometic gasket kit which includes a headgasket??? rich is a great guy to deal with if you can actually get ahold of him lol

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
the store doesnt have a victor reinz kit for my supra, so i have to buy somewhere else. I dug through the receipts that I have from my 91 supra and found out where I bought the fel pro kit for it; Autozone, $248. Called them up to ask if they got it; same kit, same price. I'm gonna buy that one, thanks guys for the info though.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
SupraDupra907;1367458 said:
If you are going to be upgrading the motor to your mk3, I reccomend an HKS metal head gasket.

I wanna run it just under fuel cut. No one has given an exact number at which fuel cut occurs, but I think that's because it depends on your ic setup (your pressure drop), and since I can't find a 7m running with a water ic, I'm gonna have to find out for myself. I don't want anymore than 300whp, and I've read posts of people recommending a mhg for over 350 (I can't find a thread on someone with a power goal less than that). I'm not gonna boost very often since it's gonna be a daily driver, but if a composite won't hold up to 300, I'd like to know what the limit is.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
If you are planning on running anything over stock boost I recommend using a MHG with proper block and head surface prep. Its a PITA job enough to do it once. The second time doing it is just a kick in the nuts for not doing it right. Then again, there are a few people that are doing some nice HP out there with a composite gasket. Then again they did the proper surface prep and proper tuning to get there.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Okay okay,

Fail Pro is crap.
Only go with stone, ishino, or toyota.

bulge1.jpg

The following pictures are of a Felpro installed about 800 miles ago. I installed it with ARP pro bolts and torqued to 80 ft/lbs. with ARP moly lube. Obviously, Felpro stock type gaskets just don't hold up. It should be noted that there were absolutely none of the usual signs of detonation.**

MHG isn't needed. Ask if he sells Beck-Arnely

Citation: **John B. Lunsford.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
Zumtizzle;1367895 said:
Okay okay,

Fail Pro is crap.
Only go with stone, ishino, or toyota.

bulge1.jpg

The following pictures are of a Felpro installed about 800 miles ago. I installed it with ARP pro bolts and torqued to 80 ft/lbs. with ARP moly lube. Obviously, Felpro stock type gaskets just don't hold up. It should be noted that there were absolutely none of the usual signs of detonation.**

MHG isn't needed. Ask if he sells Beck-Arnely

Citation: **John B. Lunsford.

mine must be magic or something....:dunno::biglaugh:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
SupraDupra907;1368214 said:
I HIGHLY recommend a Metal Head Gasket. HKS would be my choice. Also get either ARP studs, or bolts.

That also means you are recommending to pull the motor and have the block decked (and the head). HKS MHGs require a very smooth RA spec.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
To the best of my memory John Lunsford was running 18 lbs. of boost with a CT26 60 trim, LEX afm and 440 injectors without any type of fuel control.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
He at least had an AFPR and a Walbro, and 550s are no where near as mandatory as most are led to believe if you go the Lexus AFM method.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
mkIIIman089;1368463 said:
He at least had an AFPR and a Walbro, and 550s are no where near as mandatory as most are led to believe if you go the Lexus AFM method.

As far as the fuel regulator and walbro, yes, you are correct. Time fades memory. In fact, I purchased my Aeromotive install kit from him a long time ago.