Faye from Portland, OR

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Hello everybody :)
Been lurking on this site for over 2 years now, and decided to join now that I own my first Supra. My name is Lafayette (Faye for short, since Lafayette is a dude's name, clears things up a bit) and I live, work, and go to school in Portland, Oregon. I am an Automotive technology student at a local community college full time, and work as an "entry level tech" (aka oil change, fluid flush and brake slave) at an independent shop, specializing in import cars: mainly VW and Subaru, but I get to see the occasional Honda and Toyota of course. :) My coworkers call me "the crazy cat lady of cars" because I tend to personify and get overly-attached to my vehicles (thus, I have 4), want to take home and care for all of the abused customer vehicles that I service at work, and will go weeks of eating nothing but peanut butter sandwiches after spending my entire paycheck on parts. *sigh*

I started out my car enthusiast life from the womb, but really didn't touch my first wrench until I picked up a 1980 diesel VW rabbit that I purchased in 2008 and promptly blew up the motor about a month later. Having not enough money to buy a new car, (and not the heart to sell "Gaia" as I named her, to the scrap demons) I decided to buy a set of tools for myself from the Sears Father's Day tool sale instead. One thing lead to another, to another, and well... here I am. Several engine builds later on that car, and now she's actually shop-bound once more for the final touches to an engine swap from a '96 GTI that I finished rebuilding ... oh ... about 6 months ago (I am slow at the whole "wiring part") :p

p1949418_1.jpg

But enough with the boring you on VWs, now I added a Supra to the collection. I actually bought my Supra from another member (Ben, aka MA71), and am in the process of ironing out her kinks and straightening her body. She's an '89 Ice Blue Pearl (my favorite color Supra, though I know you all hate it) 5 speed turbo targa with some tasteful mods, and some hacked (that I am slowly un-doing!), sitting on a decent set of my favorite Panasports :) Well worth the couple years of waiting that I took to find the perfect one for me.

p1949418_2.jpg

Okay, well that's me in a nutshell. I look forward to talking with/learning from you all on the forums while I fix up my Supra! Thanks for reading :)

-Faye

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
Yea check out the pnw section for meets. Usually a big meet once a year in centralia Washington. Here were like 10 supras groom oregon that came. Overall 25plus. Mk2- mk4s were there. Yea check out my sale. Buy somin!lol

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
What part of Portland? I used to live out in the Hillsboro area, even though my address was still Portland lol. Really miss Oregon. Nice Supra and good luck on it!

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
oh, wow, that's a beautiful car, not entirely perfect (OCD here) but with a little attention and care... I know it'll be there :cool: have fun dodging those speedbumps in the mean-time ;) (yeah I just noticed how low the exhaust is o_O holy cow)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Yeah, exhaust is wayyyy low. Bumped it once (okay, okay, make that like a dozen times) on my trip from Seattle (where I bought her) to Portland and immediately put her up on the lift to change her oil.... and have a looksee underneath. I am wondering how many more scrapes until I will have a major exhaust leak do deal with!! :-/ po did a nice job of flattening that really low section for me to give her a little more ground clearance ;) The poor front lip needs some TLC, too.

Yes, far from perfect. Her other side has a fender in primer, and oxidized paint on the hood and roof. A few dings and scratches here and there, so I figure time to teach myself how to do body work. Its about time, and she is the perfect excuse. First things first though is getting her back running proper. Ran like complete garbage when I bought her, and had eight codes :-/ Just about finished up a bunch of work to her this evening (thus posting way past my bedtime at 1:30am!!), but no codes now and she runs like a dream, so I am pretty stoked!!! Knees killing me and 3rd degree burns on my fingers to show for it, (yeah don't pick up the soldering iron from the silver end :-/) but she's well on her way. Thinking of resurrecting the old "help me" thread from when po was having problems with her to share the solution ;)

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Faye;1949872 said:
Yeah, exhaust is wayyyy low. Bumped it once (okay, okay, make that like a dozen times) on my trip from Seattle (where I bought her) to Portland and immediately put her up on the lift to change her oil.... and have a looksee underneath. I am wondering how many more scrapes until I will have a major exhaust leak do deal with!! :-/ po did a nice job of flattening that really low section for me to give her a little more ground clearance ;) The poor front lip needs some TLC, too.

Yes, far from perfect. Her other side has a fender in primer, and oxidized paint on the hood and roof. A few dings and scratches here and there, so I figure time to teach myself how to do body work. Its about time, and she is the perfect excuse. First things first though is getting her back running proper. Ran like complete garbage when I bought her, and had eight codes :-/ Just about finished up a bunch of work to her this evening (thus posting way past my bedtime at 1:30am!!), but no codes now and she runs like a dream, so I am pretty stoked!!! Knees killing me and 3rd degree burns on my fingers to show for it, (yeah don't pick up the soldering iron from the silver end :-/) but she's well on her way. Thinking of resurrecting the old "help me" thread from when po was having problems with her to share the solution ;)

haha, sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, and you've got the determination to do it... best of luck to ya :cool:

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Hi, welcome aboard SM.
Really nice looking car from the pic and you have at your disposal a free lift, one of the perks.

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Faye;1949418 said:
Hello everybody :)
She's an '89 Ice Blue Pearl (my favorite color Supra, though I know you all hate it)
-Faye

How could anyone hate Ice Blue Pearl? It is a fabulous color. The similar "Blue Metallic" looked amazing on Mark II MR2s as well!

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
An 89' with the pre 89' front bumper, don't see that too often but I can see why one would make the change. Any pics of the front end?

Welcome to SM.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Welcome Faye! I was born and raised in Salem just south of you and then ended up in Bremerton WA, not sure how yet although I'm fairly certain I was tricked into taking up residence here... Anyway good looking car! Hope you get the kinks worked out! Tons of info on the SM site here and helpful people too with heaps of knowledge on these MK3s! Good luck!

-Taylor

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Supra28;1951335 said:
An 89' with the pre 89' front bumper, don't see that too often but I can see why one would make the change. Any pics of the front end?

Welcome to SM.

Well, sure. :) I suppose I don't mind showing her off a little more :

A month ago:

DSC_8385.jpg

and her ugly side :-/

DSC_8412.jpg

And, about an hour ago:

IMGP0315.jpg

IMGP0316.jpg

And thank you all for the warm welcome! :) Glad I'm not the only one who appreciates the IBP, I am so used to hearing "gay blue" - and when I was talking to my painter about the color I got "well that's not very exciting" as a response :-/ sigh.

Yes, the free lift is nice, the problem is begging coworker to stay after hours with me (always 2 in the shop for safety, must follow the rules!!), it is honestly like pulling teeth. I am definitely the only "enthusiast" at my work, the rest are just 9-5'ers. :p

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Bogwon;1953972 said:
Welcome Faye! I was born and raised in Salem just south of you and then ended up in Bremerton WA, not sure how yet although I'm fairly certain I was tricked into taking up residence here... Anyway good looking car! Hope you get the kinks worked out! Tons of info on the SM site here and helpful people too with heaps of knowledge on these MK3s! Good luck!

-Taylor

Hi! Well, no clue where Bremerton is, but perhaps I'll run into you at one of the Packwood Autocrosses?? :D

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Faye;1953995 said:
Hi! Well, no clue where Bremerton is, but perhaps I'll run into you at one of the Packwood Autocrosses?? :D

My car is definitely not ready for any sort of autocross but some day I'm sure we'll meet up at a meet or something. I really like Portland and next time I'm down that way I'll shoot you a PM. :)