Fastest A340E 1/4 mile times...

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
i have both autos although ive only played with one of them, one behind my 7mgte and the other behind my 1jz.The 7mgte(a340) is a very low klm one that came with my 7mgte front cut and it shifts perfectly although not really fast enough for drag racing.
The second behind my 1jzgte is fitted with the MV automatics shift kit( like 1J has for sale) and it will shift either manually or automatically and will hold till redline, very quick shifts but at times a little harsh.
If you want to use the a340 without the auto ecu you can make a basic solenoid controller just useing a bit of know how and a few diodes.Or just buy a manualised shift kit like the ones MV autos sell in ozzyland.
Heres a quick guide to set up the shifts with just the selector switch.
L=solenoid 1/on solenoid 2/off
2=solenoid 1/on solenoid 2/on
d=solenoid 1/off solenoid 2/on
od=solenoid 1/off solenoid 2/off
Youll need a few diodes with this very basic setup.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
60' 2.40
1/8 9.46
1/4 14.47
MPH 98.54

Mods: Driftmotion IC, 2.5" IC pipes, 3" DDP, full 3" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler. With better tires the 60' and ET will drop.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
I have a a342 (aristo trans) very close to the mk3 one just a few changes
I've done 13.2 @ 109.77 on my bpu aristo. I nuked the clutch packs eventually because first to 2nd gear shift takes too long.

I've now shimmed the actuators and so far so good although 1st to 2nd still long (but shorter then before) Need more line pressure in there to get it to hold...
I bet BL could beef up the mk3 trans as they got the stock mk4 ones in to 9's

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Since we are on the subject, what are the differences between the a340 strapped to a 7m and the a340 strapped to a 1jz. The only reason I am asking, is because I am going to have a 1jz a340 very soon, and am tempted to make the swap to auto.

This thead is related to drag times. In order to keep this thread on topic, you should go here if you want to discuss the differences between the A340s and A341.:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71279&highlight=a341&page=3

If you want to discuss the differences between the A340s and A341.

Last edited:

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
I'll be sticking with my A340E for a very long time, better track times to come next year once I save up for a few things.

A blown turbo to manifold gasket resulted in me not being able to build boost and horrible low end power...plus hitting fuel cut every shift....my first time to a track had some crappy times haha. Pretty good trap speed at least.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
I was hoping to get times before winter, but after fixing the motor, I had 2 weekends left that the track was open and it was 30-40 deg with rain/snow both weekends. Sucks, I will be out there first thing when they open up in the spring. I'm positive I will get in the 11's now that I got the 60' down.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Cleaned up thread some. Keep this on topic guys/gals. :icon_bigg If you want to start a thread on the tech side of the trans then go ahead but in a different section as this is strictly for the fastest A340E 1/4 mile times... :icon_bigg

Duane

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Good move Duane, I love threads that are really on topic!

This guy may not be on the forum, but at Vegas 05? I recall a guy with an A341 doing high 13s pretty consistent. ~100 MPH. It's been too long, sorry no high numbers but it is right up with the rest of the list there.

Every year he would just put in another JZA70 auto tranny. They only cost $100 or less in socal, so you can change them easily.

darkspeed

Supramania Contributor
Oct 1, 2006
Montgomery, AL
www.pbase.com
If I had read Jared's write-up on making a a340e last prior to buying my th400 adapter, I'd be knocking down 10 second passes on the a340e.

I know it's doable; my friend's 240 volvo was cutting 1.6 60's and 11.9-low 12sec passes on an aisin warner. shimming the accumulators is the ticket to saving the tranny.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
btw I don't have any info other then the shop that did it.. but there was/is a supra here in Toronto that does consistent 11's at 130 traps.. As far as I know the trans has worked for the last 2 seasons and the guy drags every weekend.

This shop rebuilt my R154, and the owner Mike knows his stuff... I don't know what he did but I know he's got a 650 WHP mk3 2jz now and it's also lasted..

http://www.precisetransmission.com/

that's the place.

brad horton

Oct 20, 2008
Alabama
do these need trans coolers at some point?

kinda off topic but ill ask any way
what do you think my mk3 auto should run?
it has a ct-57 at 13 pounds with 2.5 driftmotion ic piping, a sperco knock off intercooler, and a 3 inch divorced down pipe with a cut out, cold air. other than that its stock

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
Im runnin lower power then alot of poeple on here it seems and I have gone through 2 2nd gears in 300 miles on a A340e, I'm making around 350rwhp, I have a MV automatics Valve body and had reyspestos blue clutches and killed the 2nd gear sprag. About 2 weesk after I rebuild the 2nd gear and replaced the sprag, I rolled through 2nd again and hit the rev limiter pretty hard. any ideas? What makes it worse is I dont track the car, I dont brake boost the car, I really just drive and occasionally atempted to go fast... And I have now nuked the trans Twice any ideas? Im running out of money and could be making 100 more hp easy if i wasnt worried about the transmission
Kanan

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
I should be getting my car back from getting the trans put in (had the ipt rebuild kit used) nuked 2 trans since july... From what i know stock A340E's are trash. What i did for this was IPT rebuilt kit, new solenoids, and my torque convertor which has about 6k street miles on it. I also got me a 10,500btu trans cooler i mounted in front of the radiator behind the grill. I should be making it out to the track here soon, will post some times.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Nothing wrong with a stock a340e, for stock power levels. A stock clutch set up will be trash for 300+ hp levels in short order, so it always makes me wonder why people expect the same thing not to happen to a stock auto tranny.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Well I can't get my scanner to work but when my car was bone stock with the exception of a K&N filter it ran a 10.025 with at .600 reaction time. The 60' was 2.382 and trapped a 72.61 in the 1/8th. I now have exhaust and boost controller but haven't run it since I put in another tranny. I shimmed the shift accumulators and put a tranny cooler on it. I now have boost cut problems and am about to switch the wastegate out and see if that helps and look for boost leaks. I also gotta get a Wideband and a SAFC. When I take it back to the strip i'll post up new times and hopefully a timeslip if I can figure my scanner out.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
blk91;1267577 said:
Im runnin lower power then alot of poeple on here it seems and I have gone through 2 2nd gears in 300 miles on a A340e, I'm making around 350rwhp, I have a MV automatics Valve body and had reyspestos blue clutches and killed the 2nd gear sprag. About 2 weesk after I rebuild the 2nd gear and replaced the sprag, I rolled through 2nd again and hit the rev limiter pretty hard. any ideas? What makes it worse is I dont track the car, I dont brake boost the car, I really just drive and occasionally atempted to go fast... And I have now nuked the trans Twice any ideas? Im running out of money and could be making 100 more hp easy if i wasnt worried about the transmission
Kanan

Around 350rwhp? If you are, that is close to 400 hp, as Toyota rated the car originally. And as Rich pointed out, Toyota didn't have that in mind when they built the Supra. Nice soft shifts were. It can be made to handle the power.

You rebuilt 2nd gear? So you left all the other clutch packs in place? I don't think you did, but am just checking. What did it look like when you did the tear down? Any pics?