fan shroud... take it off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
kinda stupid question, but i'm wondering if it'll reduce the whining noise at all until i get an electric setup, and if there's any point in takin your shroud off anyway. i see it off all the time on other mkiii's, and if it's not needed then i don't want it.

vfrguy

Oct 2, 2006
dallas, tx
I would keep it on until you get your fans...i ran without one for a couple months until I found one worth buying...and I noticed that I ran about 15-20 degree cooler with the shroud on, with a koyo radiator.

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Okay, here's kinda the way the fan shroud works... Basically you want the fan to move air evenly over the whole radiator right?

basically the shroud helps create vacuum on the backside of the radiator so air moves through it better.

So if you run without it, not as much air moves through the radiator. actually.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
stupid supra "upgrade" #83 & 84

-electric fans flow LESS than factory, and are NOT freeing up power

-the fan shroud is REQUIRED for proper cooling as the fan will just pull air from around the radiator instead of THROUGH it

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
Hmm I would pull it off if I were you. Hey since you are pulling it off anyways, mail it to me, cause I need one! :sarcasm:

Poodles said:
stupid supra "upgrade" #83 & 84

-electric fans flow LESS than factory, and are NOT freeing up power

-the fan shroud is REQUIRED for proper cooling as the fan will just pull air from around the radiator instead of THROUGH it

Status
Not open for further replies.