Fan clutch

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
How do I tell if a fan clutch is in good shape? I have two of them I would like to sell but I want to make sure they're working first.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If the fan clutch is cold, it should allow the fan to spin more freely. If it is warm, it should resist spinning. It should never freewheel, and it should never lock up. Freewheeling is a sign that some oil has leaked out, and locking up is what happens when ALL the oil leaks out.

The TSRM basically says to assume that it's fine of there's no leaks or damage (Page CO-7) in that aside from damage or leaks, there's little that should go wrong. It's not a wear part.

As I recall, the clutch is a fluid coupling that matches the input shaft to the body. There is a thermostatic coil on the front which moves a valve. As the coil warms, it closes the valve. Once closed, the fan is closely coupled to the input shaft. As it cools, the fan is permitted to slip more, forcing less air through the radiator. Since the valve is very simple, so long as it is properly coupled to the bimetallic coil, and there is no loss of the oil in the unit, it will work.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
easiest way to tell without warming engine up, take a lighter to the "coil" on the front of the fan-clutch. you will see it bind, it will get to a point where when you try to spin the fan it will resist but still spin, definetly not freewheel though.