Falling Into Work

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Did any of you ever decide what you wanted to be at an early age and actually end up doing just that?

Or have most of you fallen into a job and found out you really liked it and moved up?

ITT - I got a degree in Automotive and just recently got a job working on an HP contract fixing/installing printers for all the Walmart's in the TN area. I really loved racing and paid to get a degree and with my new job I use zero of my skillsets - making three times as much as I ever did on cars.

Now I pretty much want to be an IT guy because of the money and the environment - and don't have a clue as to how to self train myself to learn everything about computers!

(I went to a special training course to learn the HP printers so as far as my job goes I am good, but since I work for my friend who owns his own business - he wants me to be able to help out with his business on routine computer calls as well)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Well, I always wanted to work in IT, but it took me a lot of years to get there, during which I did everything from retail sales to management to construction.

Oddly enough, I'd pretty much written off the possibility of getting into IT professionally, then I fell into an opportunity... that was nearly 20 years ago, and I've never looked back.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
GrimJack;1455566 said:
Well, I always wanted to work in IT, but it took me a lot of years to get there, during which I did everything from retail sales to management to construction.

Oddly enough, I'd pretty much written off the possibility of getting into IT professionally, then I fell into an opportunity... that was nearly 20 years ago, and I've never looked back.

So far I am loving the little bits of computer work that I get here and there. So far all I have really done is computer clean ups and whatnot, but it's awesome because I am meeting new people on a day to day basis, and it is really clean work unlike working on cars.

What all did you do to learn all that you know now? Does it come naturally to you, or do you do a lot of independent reading/classes?

Basically, I want to take this opportunity that I have before me and run as far as I can with it.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
I'm not doing anything remotely close to what my degree is for, but it pays better. Lol.

So, if you find something you like stick with it. It doesn't matter if it what you went to school for or not. Only that you enjoy it.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
GrimJack;1455566 said:

This.
I got my big break not to long ago. Jobs I've had Lifeguard/Drafting/UPS

Got IT now, and will never do something else, First job I actually love to get up in the morning and go too.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
SupraMario;1455612 said:
This.
I got my big break not to long ago. Jobs I've had Lifeguard/Drafting/UPS

Got IT now, and will never do something else, First job I actually love to get up in the morning and go too.

Where exactly are you doing IT work - and what do you mainly do? Networking? Maintenance?

It's just I cant help but notice that you are in the TN area and I pretty much travel everywhere for my job - so it might almost be safe to say that I just might run into you someplace sometime. haha.

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
im kinda in the same situation...im going to school as undeclared but i take automotive and business classes. but recently ive been offered apprenticeships in plumbing and electrical. ive been told i will make a good amount of money after my apprenticeship in plumbing but idk if its what i want to do/will like it.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Setheroo;1455614 said:
Where exactly are you doing IT work - and what do you mainly do? Networking? Maintenance?

It's just I cant help but notice that you are in the TN area and I pretty much travel everywhere for my job - so it might almost be safe to say that I just might run into you someplace sometime. haha.

I work for an IT out sourcing company, we mainly take care of mid size business's. Most of our clients are in Middle TN mainly around the Nashville area. I do pretty much everything, Networking/Maintenance/programming/Server admin pretty much everything that involves IT work.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
SupraMario;1455633 said:
I work for an IT out sourcing company, we mainly take care of mid size business's. Most of our clients are in Middle TN mainly around the Nashville area. I do pretty much everything, Networking/Maintenance/programming/Server admin pretty much everything that involves IT work.

Awesome - that actually sounds a lot like me - funny thing is I am working in the exact same area. My boss's company is based right out of Murfreesboro and he has a contract out with Barrister - and both him and I are on the special HP contract that they have...

I have no idea how to program, nor do I know a whole lot about networking - so I really need to start reading/getting some experience with it. I know there will be a day that someone asks me something and I won't know the answer right off.

If you ever wanted to get a glimpse as to what I have been trained on - go to Dickson's/Gallatin's/Franklin's/Lebanon's Walmart's Photo Centers and take a look at their HP printing stations. I have had to service all of those ones so far (only 14 Walmarts in TN have them so far... until January when we start doing lots of new installations).

Is there anything good that I can read to learn more on the networking stuff and maybe even a little on the programming?

Oh and Boosted - follow what you love to do and you will eventually find something that you enjoy doing - me - I followed racing because I loved it - and found out that working on everyones beaters - wasn't what I loved doing - then I ended up working crappy jobs and now I have this one - and I am overall satisfied so far :) If you give things 100% there is no reason you won't end up going far.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Setheroo;1455646 said:
Awesome - that actually sounds a lot like me - funny thing is I am working in the exact same area. My boss's company is based right out of Murfreesboro and he has a contract out with Barrister - and both him and I are on the special HP contract that they have...

I have no idea how to program, nor do I know a whole lot about networking - so I really need to start reading/getting some experience with it. I know there will be a day that someone asks me something and I won't know the answer right off.

If you ever wanted to get a glimpse as to what I have been trained on - go to Dickson's/Gallatin's/Franklin's/Lebanon's Walmart's Photo Centers and take a look at their HP printing stations. I have had to service all of those ones so far (only 14 Walmarts in TN have them so far... until January when we start doing lots of new installations).

Is there anything good that I can read to learn more on the networking stuff and maybe even a little on the programming?

Oh and Boosted - follow what you love to do and you will eventually find something that you enjoy doing - me - I followed racing because I loved it - and found out that working on everyones beaters - wasn't what I loved doing - then I ended up working crappy jobs and now I have this one - and I am overall satisfied so far :) If you give things 100% there is no reason you won't end up going far.

I dunno, tbh all my experience from networking comes from me just working with servers/routers/switches/networking my home/playing with windows/linux networking controls/programs. I did pick up a server 2003/2007 book, its called mastering Server 2003 and the other one is Mastering Server 2007, but they really are only about server 2003/2007, not really about networking...VPNs/TCP IP/etc.

As for programming, well, java I took a class, C++ I learned myself, HTML(well if you can speak english then you can code HTML), .Net(VB) taught myself. My biggest suggestion for programming, in all honesty. Learn the concept, if you know the concept then all the languages are the same. Java was my first language I learned, and it was a bitch, I hated it because I didn't understand the concept, and it came down to the fact that I was trying to make it to complex and not stick with the simple stuff first. Learn the simple things in any language and you will understand the more complex. Just like learning a spoken language, learn its alphabet and small phrases and words and the rest falls into place.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I started with personal computers before taking classes in HS, then continued with programming in college, got bored with all the rigid coding crap, quit college and eventually got a job with Software ETC. From messing around with DOS and Windows 3.0 and older, I found I had an aptitude for software and landed a job at Egghead Software where I learned more about MS Office and laptops/desktops.

I was working the Productivity aisle when this cute girl in blue jeans and a dirty Polo shirt came in for some Cat-5 cabling. After talking to her for a few hours, I had her buying Windows 95 for her home system and was heading to her house after work to install it. When I got there her husband (damn!) met me at the door and I got to talking to him about her job (of which she was still there). I left my number for them to call back if they had any issues and pocketed $100 (the guy asked me how much I charged, I initially said free, he said no, how much was my time worth, I said $25.00, he looked at the clock, and gave me $100 for 4 hours worth of work. It was a complete shocker to me then!!!).

About a week later, I get a call from the same chick. Come to find out she worked for Bank Of Un-American as a cable tech/splicer and had sent in my name to HR for a job at the PC Helpdesk. I got hired for 3rd shift, she split the "headhunter" bonus with me which was $3000, easy way for both of us to make $1500, and I set out to learn office desktop support. I applied my computer knowledge and picked up mainframe support as an added bonus (which I had learned and forgotten at VCU), then when IP addressing became the norm I found another aptitude I didn't know I had, which was tracing through networks. I quickly learned Visio and reading tech drawings and flowcharts and began supporting the PCs of the Network Operations group downstairs. The night shift manager eyed me, called his boss, and had me move over to NetOps with a $4000 increase in pay and another $5000 as a "hire-in" bonus (GAWD, THOSE WERE THE FRIGGIN' DAYS!!!!).

So, I worked 3.5 years as a PC Support tech and another 1.5 as a NetOps tech. Then, we get the official word that the center was taking over the Router Operations group. Since I had an IP background and had already been nosing through the router books, I was bumped up again in salary and given one of the RO tech jobs, which was my real niche. I worked until BOfU-A sold our department to Ross Perot's old company EDS, and was eventually phased out in 2005 after working hard for 10 years TO THE M-FUK!N DAY in that place. Thanks, dickheads.

So again, after languishin on my severance package and getting turned down everywhere because the IT field in this wretched state had dried up harder than Phyllis Diller's cooter, I landed a 2-year contract with AT&T for much of the same IT work, except on the circuit side and not the router. I'm currently on my second 2-year tour and looking to find another IT permanent job SOMEWHERE in this god-forsaken town.

Whew. That was a lot of aggression let go.... :icon_evil

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Ohh, the best way to get into IT? Get a degree in Information Systems on the business end. Programming wouldn't hurt either, but InfoSys will get you there much faster. They offer ROUTER courses in college now, FTW!

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
Setheroo;1455646 said:

thanks for the advice, i dont know if i should drop out of college to become an apprentice but the apprenticeship takes 5 years, starting out at $14 an hour. when i get out ill be making $50 an hour but idk if its what i want to do. i love working on my own cars but idk if i want to do it as a living, i wanted to open my own shop but idk anymore. :( all this confusion and not knowing what i want to do doesnt give me any motivation in school now so ive been hating school.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Setheroo;1455598 said:
What all did you do to learn all that you know now? Does it come naturally to you, or do you do a lot of independent reading/classes?
That's a damn long list... remember, I've been in the field for a long time. Learning comes naturally to me, I can read or see something once, and chances are I'll never forget it. I'm entirely self taught - no college, university, or tech institutes, I simply pick up what I want to learn and do something realistic with it. I should point out that while this works for some, it's still faster and easier to go to school for it. If I'd taken the school route, chances are I'd be 5-10 years further ahead on my career.

SupraMario;1455659 said:
My biggest suggestion for programming, in all honesty. Learn the concept, if you know the concept then all the languages are the same.
QFT.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Boosted516;1455731 said:
thanks for the advice, i dont know if i should drop out of college to become an apprentice but the apprenticeship takes 5 years, starting out at $14 an hour. when i get out ill be making $50 an hour but idk if its what i want to do. i love working on my own cars but idk if i want to do it as a living, i wanted to open my own shop but idk anymore. :( all this confusion and not knowing what i want to do doesnt give me any motivation in school now so ive been hating school.
Working on cars is a dirty, nasty job. As a hobby is one thing...

Try this. Go visit some local shops, trade lunch for some time to talk to the guys who work there. Ask them if they've been hurt on the job. Ask them if they had to do it again, would they choose the same career. Ask them what they like about it, and what they don't like about it.

Personally, I'm glad someone is doing it, because that means I don't have to. Same as police... I don't complain about how they do the job for the most part, because I sure as hell don't want to do it.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I fell into my career.

Corporate admin whilst on a break from uni lead to me being assistant to the team leader for a financial planning software company. Knew nothing about computers, and not much about financial planning beyond the basics. Managed to pick stuff up just from watching the support consultants, and reading anything I could get my hands on.

Was on the phones in 2 months and became SME for 4 modules of the software soon after.

Quickly developed a love for financial planning, and decided I wanted to move into a practice, which coincided with moving interstate.

Took a 20K pay cut, and I can honestly say it was the best decision I ever made! I love my boss, the work, and the clients. In 2 years, I have recouped that 20K and then some.

I now work as a principal adviser's right-hand woman. He sees the clients and makes recommendations, and I do the rest; everything from client services management, writing reports, doing trades, filling out paperwork, compliance management, first level tech support (have a big office), and anything else that needs doing.

I :love: my job and hope to finish one of my degrees next year, complete my Adv Dip and start my CFP studies :)

EDIT - I just wanted to add that I was at uni studying a BA Arts/BA Commerce double degree and was double majoring in each (economics/politics, finance/business law), so it was kind of a given I would end up in business/finance, but I thought I would end up corporate, not in a small business, and definitely not in a client facing financial planning role!

Last edited:

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Oh so many stories - now I really don't feel half as bad about being in something that I didn't go to school for. All that is left to do now is... get smart at what I am doing! haha.

LilMissMkIII - I hope that you get to finish all your degrees out - they really do help with being recognized and all that other nice stuff :)

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
Fell into my carreer

wow, i feel like im the only one who hates IT
I went to school for computer and electrical engineering ( 2 seperate majors was a terrible idea), got a pretty run of the mill job at a banks help desk and proved to be so invaluable that they put me into server maintaince and networking group- I hated every minute of it.
Don't get me wrong, I love computers, The hardware and software aspect, networking, data management, software design- I love it
As soon as I was in the IT field, trapped inside all day, everyday.. I realized I hated it, it was my own personal prison
I left the company I worked for ( quite fortunatually actually, they wound up getting outsorced and everyone I worked with lost their jobs about 2 months after I left )
I then worked retail, at a department store- then stumbled ass backwards into a job in the rent to own industry, where I did quite well, but decided to move on after I realized that the money there would never be adequate ( 50+ hour weeks and nothing to show for it!) I got my current job purely by chance. Applied online with my local utility company, took their tests and passed.
Funny thing is, in one interview I went through the interviewer was completely confused to why I had applied for a position that was mostly physical labor, and actually thought that someone had made a mistake and subbmitted my application wrong. I'm honestly in love with my job- its the right amount of problem solving, physical labor, and is in no way repetitive.
I guess I'm just one of those guys who needs to accomplish something physical to feel like hes done anything at all.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
Always wanted to be an engineer.
My grandfather on my dad's side was a metallurgist/magnetic scientist.
My grandfather on my mom's side was an electrical engineer for Westing House.
My father was a meteorologist for NASA in the 70's... but gave all that up to be a father and raise my sister and I.

I never did very well in High School, so after graduation I had to spend 6 years working my way back up through community college, then 4 year university to get my degree.

Been working for ABB as a Product Development / R&D eng. for few years... absolutely love it.

Wouldn't change a thing. :)

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
I wanted to be a teacher when I was in High School. I ended up in the military following family traditions, out of the military with substantial physical damage, and working in IT while finishing my degrees. From there I moved into tutoring which led me on to teaching. What is it with Supra owners and computers?