Failed Aircare, need some suggestions to troubleshoot

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I have a rebuilt '90 7M. It failed aircare with very high NOx readings. It currently has a Lexus Afm, RC 550's, Denso MK IV fp, AFPR, and 3" exhaust. My wideband reads fairly lean at cruise and idle (high 17's) it drops into the high 11's under boost. My fuel press. is set at 30 with vacuum. The max allowable reading here for NOx is 878, and my vehicle reading was 3048. The other readings were ok. I was thinking an SAFC should be my next purchase and go from there? Is there a test to check the EGR system? I'll keep searching, but I'd appreciate suggestions from any members who've been through this type of deal. Thanks. Gawdamm aircare.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
What is the condition of your catalytic converter, and is it a 2-way or 3-way? It almost sounds like you have a 2-way, as these are only meant to reduce unburned hydrocarbons and CO.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
The HC ppm: 66.00, max allowable is: 87.00
The CO% is: 0.10, max allowable is: 0.59
this is for the driving segment.
The idle test is:
HC: 67, max allowable is: 102,
CO is: 0.00, max allowable is: 0.75.
The cat is aftermarket, so I'd assume its not comparable to stock.
I'll read up on the EGR test, thanks.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
What RPM or speed (15mph and 25mph?)

hmm

HC are teetering on the edge of failure.

Where do the NOx fall under those numbers?

How hot was the system before you tested? It seems like it might have been cold?

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Here they put you in a booth, and "buddy" does the test. The car was thoroughly warm for this. I only use hi-test gas. I believe the driving segment is 45 kmph. held for 2 mins.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
make sure your vacuum lines are ran correctly, your EGR is messsed up. did you clean it out when you rebuilt the engine? and did you clean the passages in the intake manifold??

the lex afm and 550's will give you high HC... but it shouldnt give you high NOx... either EGR or your cat is toasted...
and double check your timing! that has a huge effect on the car during smog!

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
like what Grim said, run that puppy hard before you get there. make sure that cats working when you step on the dyno.

randandrawson@v

Sep 6, 2008
NC
EGR man.
pull the valve and make sure its not all crudded up. they almost always are.
the head can get jammed up with crap also. thats a bitch, almost have to cook it at the machine shop. (or boil it in tide at home, if you've got a cauldron big enough!)
you can check open / close with just a vac pump on the valve itself.
as for diag on the rest of the system (the stupra's is way complicated for a stupid egr) the manual's got a trouble tree for it.

There are some additives that can cause crazy readings.
Not sure what the stupid corn alcohol does to our cars either.
I know it wiped out the injectors in my Triumph.