factory fuel pump capacity (special situation)

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I race in nasa time trials. As such there is a point for mod system which I need to use the best to my ability to be/stay competitive. One area I believe I can gain some points back from is the fuel pump points. There is a modification listed that gives me 2 point if I run an non-OEM fuel pump. For reference 2 points is worth 30 pounds. I have been running a Walbro ever since I started racing because its cheap insurance. I do not and will not have upgraded injectors, or turbos while running this car.

My question ultimately is, does the stock fuel pump have enough capacity to deal with anything a stock CT-26 can put out power wise?

I constantly run the car on the edge of fuel cut, occasionally hitting it during a session depending on ambient temperature. I plan on bypassing fuel cut and based on compressor outlet temperatures determining where this turbo, with my particular setup, really starts to fall off.

My thoughts are I shouldn't have an issue using a new replacement pump, but I want to get some second opinions. I do have a wideband to check if things starts going lean due to lack of capacity but no fuel pressure gauge.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Would a MKIV Turbo pump be considered OEM? If so, that's a phenomenal pump that can handle anything you'd throw at it.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
Supracentral;1728208 said:
Would a MKIV Turbo pump be considered OEM? If so, that's a phenomenal pump that can handle anything you'd throw at it.

Thanks for pointing out what I forgot to include. They do break out our generation as a different car than the later generation so updateing/backdating is not legal. I can update to any part up to the 1992 supras.

The definition from NASA regarding OEM parts is as follows

A OEM part is "Any part that is identical in size, shape, and functional characteristics compared to the part that
originally came on the vehicle, from the manufacturer, as a standard feature of the base model as
it is listed in section 6.3.2 Base Classifications (factory options and specialty model parts are
considered non-OEM) or is listed as a standard replacement part by the OEM manufacturer.
Some parts that are produced by aftermarket manufacturers as generic replacement parts may not
require a points assessment provided that: they are the same size and shape, and have the same
functional characteristics as the OEM part, and that they provide no significant improvement in
performance, longevity, or reliability."

So using a mk4 pump is out of the question. However finding the best "replacement" pump from various brands is not lol

Also I want to point out that obviously checking a fuel pump is not a common protest so I could simply hide the Walbro. Unfortunately I have a nagging conscience so it would bother me to much. Having a conscience makes it tough in racing.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
supraguru05;1728214 said:
Also I want to point out that obviously checking a fuel pump is not a common protest so I could simply hide the Walbro. Unfortunately I have a nagging conscience so it would bother me to much. Having a conscience makes it tough in racing.

Good honest man is better then a lying cheat no matter the situation

Amtrack

Apr 5, 2006
Germany
From personal experience: stock pump is good for all up to 1,2bar on CT26.
Drove this several years and even on the Autobahn on top speed it wasn´t lean.

Of course I did use a fuel computer (F-Con and EVC for boost at that time) and an FCD to get there.
Stock turbo could hold pressure on 1bar until redline in every gear - was the best CT I ever used.

Usually they drop boost in higher revs to around 0,8bar as far as I experienced.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
the stock CT-26 is only good till 12-13 psi before is starts running out of breath and becomes a hair dryer. so its limit is pretty low.

im running a stock pump/rail etc on hks 550's with 1 bar/10 psi and doesnt seem to have any major issues.

that being said i do believe that a stock pump should keep up to the stock ct-26 with the stock 440's

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Supracentral;1728208 said:

I was going to ask if he thinks he can cheat. It is a ND pump afterall.

Blackdawg;1728227 said:
Good honest man is better then a lying cheat no matter the situation

If he isn't winning, he is the only one that isn't cheating. I have the Boss Jr with a 57 T04E and the original fuel pump.