factory amplifier not working

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
so i have a 91 mk3 with factory cd,cassette,radio play with factory amplifier
car had sat for 12 yrs(due to old man being scared of car)

radio comes on, antenna goes up with no problem
turn radio to a station and you need to turn the volume button to the max to hear anything
tried the cd player and cassette player with same out come

checked for power, ground etc going to amp
everything checked out fine

anybody know anything else to try?

thanks

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
My Supra did almost exactly the same thing. Mine sat for a few years before I got it. Radio turned on, antenna was sticky but came to life after a few tries and a friend with WD40. The head unit, the stock AM/FM cassette receiver wouldn't hardly make a sound unless you turned it all the way up. I would play it like that and after a minute or so it would suddenly cut in at normal volume (which was on all the way up) and I would turned it down again, but it usually didn't continue working for long before I had to repeat the cycle. Well, 20 year old speakers didn't like this whole full volume thing and I soon blew the passenger side just trying to listen to some tunes. Well, at this point I said forget it and threw in a new head unit, and replaced the speakers and speaker wires as well since I now run my door speakers off a 4 channel amp. Haven't touched stock wiring harness for the speakers or the rear four speakers since. I suspect it was all just a bad receiver though. My advice would be replace that or just try hooking up a different and see if they fome to life. If you need advice on how to take the dash apart feel free to IM me. Hope this helps. I know I'm a little late. Sorry for the long reply.

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Wow. Lots of typos sorry. *PM me *come to life. Maybe condensation over the years wrecks these stereos. Not sure. Btw for rear speakers I just mounted 6x9s in the trunk and that works great. If you do it right you can still use your tartan holders and access the spare too. Just an idea

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
thanks for sharing your experience
i did say screw it and install a aftermarket cd player
but i did however find a used amp for sale so in the near future i'd really like to reinstall stock headunit with a working amp

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Electrolytic caps dry out after 20+ years and they stop working. I revived my amp by replacing them all, but if you don't have good soldering skills this will not be an option for you. You can also look at swapping in something from a newer Toyota if you want the factory look. The wiring is mostly unchanged until 2003.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
i managed to grab a plug and play harness from my parts car supra (90)
installed aftermarket deck and everything is fine
but amp obviously doesnt work

so now im either going to install 2 small amps or 1 4 channel amp
but thats going to be down the road after my motor build is done

thanks for the inputs
i may just track down another stock amp and install it with factory headunit