Facime's Mk2 build

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
85celicasupra;1046213 said:
welcome to the 85 SDR club...

Heh, thanks. I believe I am the only mk2 owner in Corvallis. I havent seen one other around here.

As promised here are some pics of what I have to work with. I havent finished detailing it. I had some family stuff happen this weekend and Im physically wiped out right now. This week I will finish the cleaning and minor maintenance.

DSCF2052.JPG

DSCF2053.JPG

DSCF2054.JPG

DSCF2056.JPG

DSCF2058.JPG

DSCF2060.JPG

Last edited:

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Looks like a straight body to work with. Hope this build goes better than you last one. BTW, how many shades of red are on that car?

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
nice ride! amazing how interior and paint holds up there. my paint and interior is shot in my 85. if you need the 5spd pedals i got them and i'll sell them cheap.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Kckazdude;1046300 said:
Looks like a straight body to work with. Hope this build goes better than you last one. BTW, how many shades of red are on that car?

just 2 - The original color and the crappy respray on the bumper that looks like it was color matched by Stevie Wonder and put on with a reused windex bottle. :nono:

UPDATE: Replaced my hood struts today. One of them was so completely gone that it was more like a slide whistle than a gas strut. No more suprastick™ for me.

I had originally noticed an almost imperceptable knock on the front of the motor when I bought it but decided to just take my chances with it. Well in the last few days the knock went from barely audible to sounding like something was seriously coming apart. It turned out to be the water pump bearings going bad. I replaced the pump today in short order and fixed the improperly mounted alternator while I was there.

So, I have been having a problem with the idle randomly going real high, then resetting after I shut the car off and back on again. I wanted to pull the throttle body off because the last owner used some wierd brown shit to help seal it. It isnt like regular RTV as it is actually hard when dried.

DSCF2075.JPG

DSCF2076.JPG

Yeah I know, pretty ugly shit. I pulled the TB and cleaned up all the hardened junk. while I had the TB off I checked the TPS and found it was installed wrong. So I installed and adjusted it right. So next was the ISC. I suspected all along the stepper motor wasnt working as I cant hear the "tick tick tick" after shut off. Sure enough it also fails the resistance tests and applying voltage to it doesnt move the plunger. Looks like I have to find a replacement. Im gonna hit the Pick a part tomorrow and hope I get lucky.

I also just discovered that there are a few really ugly wiring issues. I will be going through and soldering and re-wrapping the trouble areas. Currently there are no electrical issues, but I want to avoid there being some in the future.

Thats it for now.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Have you never used Peanut Butter as a sealant before???? That car must have spent some part of it's life in Alabama.

I have an ISC from an 85 that's been in my shed on a full manifold for several years now. Let me know if you want to try it.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
i always listen for the tick tick tick when i turn my car off!

your doin a great job man ive been wantin to get a clean mk2 for a long time!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Thanks Kyle, PacNW being in Portland this year will be fun and close for me. I should have a good example of a bone stock 85 by then ;) I wish I had the money for your friends 1JZ setup. That will have to wait for a while.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
:: IJ. :: polish those turn signals in the tail lights

I had to do it to my bro's car for him because it drives me NUTS to see foggy lenses on a car...

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
lol, I got more important things to worry about than turn lenses. Besides, all my lenses are going to get smoked/altered eventually.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I was going to do a "future plans" post here soon after I really had a good idea of what Im working with. For the most part my plan is to do the reverse of what I did last time. Im going to leave the drivetrain mostly stock to start (just get it running right and reliable). My plans are to put more money into chassis first. I will likely do a full subframe removal and rebuild with coilovers, poly, and big brakes. Once its a "go cart" I will do a stock 1JZ/r154 swap. Finally after that I'll get a good body and paint job.

Other than stock replacement/repair/maintenance parts, I wont be doing much this year other than making it a good daily driver.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Todays update:
On my way to the junkyards today I noticed my temp start to spike. I pulled over and sure enough I was losing coolant. I thought, "shit, did I get a bad water pump?". Turns out that when I finished up last night I forgot to put my radiator cap all the way on. I was only on half way and that caused a boil over. I refilled the radiator and got back underway.

After searching a couple of pick a part yards I managed to find 2 ISC's. I didnt want to have to come back so I took em both. Good thing too because one of them was bad as well. I managed to get one good working one and that took care of my high idle.

So I thought I would work on a few other minor issues. I managed to adjust my rear hatch to both close without rattling, and to open with the lever next to the seat. I cleaned up the hatch area and under the spare tire. I was pleased to find nothing but a little surface rust in the tire well and the fender wells were clean and dry too. Heres how it looks now:

DSCF2086.JPG

DSCF2087.JPG

DSCF2088.JPG

DSCF2089.JPG

So while I was in the area I took the speaker grills off only to find this:

DSCF2077.JPG

DSCF2078.JPG

Yeah, Infinity speakers sound alot better when they arent pointed down into the fender. It didnt look like they were connected all that well either. I put new spade connectors on the wires and temporarily mounted the speakers in the stock spots. The speakers are too big for the factory holes so Im going to have make some mounts or something.

The wiring on this car was hacked and mangled by someone in the past. Im sorry but wire nuts and electrical tape is not adaquate for automotive work. :nono:

DSCF2082.JPG

It also looks like one of the connectors under the battery has been partially disolved. Im going to have to try to find that plug in the bonyard and splice it in. Something I will do here pretty soon.

DSCF2079.JPG

This motor was a JDM swap and for some reason instead of using the old harness it looks like they spliced in the new harness about 12 inches from the ECU. They twisted the wires and used electrical tape and the wrong sized shrink tube. I redid all the connections, re-wrapped the harness and put it back where it belongs. It was working fine before but I feel better now.

DSCF2083.JPG

DSCF2084.JPG

I think my differential is on its way out as well. Under anything other than a soft launch I get a pretty hard wheel hop. I found a couple in the yards today. I need to do some research as to which ones will be LSD and go back for one here when the weather gets a little nicer. My 5spd swap is also on hold for now, as Im still trying to locate all the parts I need.

Thats all for today.

Last edited: