F&$^%&* Hatch Cable!

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
I Went to open my hatch a couple days ago to let some type of flying insect out of the car that i noticed was buzzing around back there, and my hatch has always been kinda tuff to open. It feels like its gonna break and then right before you think its gonna the hatch pops, well this time it decided it wasnt gonna open. i heard a loud pop and the handle got loose so i guess i broke the cable or somethin but now i have no way of opening my hatch because the key has never worked!

I have a replacement lock for it out of my maroon car that works i just gotta crawl my fat ass into the back of the car, take that panel off, and pop the hatch so i can swap it out.

I just thought id rant about this has this happened to anybody else?

Cliffs: Pulled hatch lever loud pop lever went loose, Can fix it just wanted to bitch.

Last edited:

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
mkIIIman089 said:
I covered both with my statement...
i figured pop and open with the key ment the key since it doesnt do anything else but pop it, my bad.

im not sure why mine has always been hard to open but im gonna take a guess here and say its why my cable broke :biglaugh:

taid79

RWD
Sep 29, 2005
California
SupaMan said:
i figured pop and open with the key ment the key since it doesnt do anything else but pop it, my bad.

im not sure why mine has always been hard to open but im gonna take a guess here and say its why my cable broke :biglaugh:

You might wanna take a closer look at the lock mechanism in the trunk. I was having trouble with mine too but it would open with a key just not very easily.

I found out that the plastic from the cable was broken and was not secure onto the lever, so the previous guy who owned it just zip tied it together. Does this make sense? anyway picked up another cable from the wrecking yard thats still in good shape and its all good now.:biglaugh:

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
taid79 said:
You might wanna take a closer look at the lock mechanism in the trunk. I was having trouble with mine too but it would open with a key just not very easily.

I found out that the plastic from the cable was broken and was not secure onto the lever, so the previous guy who owned it just zip tied it together. Does this make sense? anyway picked up another cable from the wrecking yard thats still in good shape and its all good now.:biglaugh:
yeah thanks man when i went diggin for my extra lock i found the latch too just incase its the latch so i have a spare of both :biglaugh:

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
pb92supraturbo said:
I lubed my hatch cable with the tool I use on my motorcycles. Pulling on the release lever is smooth and easy now.
thats a cool little tool there! i think im just gonna replace the key for now and when i can an alarm ima get 1 with a remote popper, maybe.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
I think this thread might have helped me solve my long time hatch lever inconsistency. This thread prompted me to look up cygnus, and I saw this:
p713371_1.jpg

My hatch release cable is routed like the red line as opposed to the picture. Is that how all MKIIIs are routed? or did particular years differ? It never made sense to me the way mine was routed. The previous owner had a solenoid for the hatch release (probably some remote alarm release crap). but it never worked. I always thought that my hatch cable was too long, lol.

Last edited:

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
im not sure if they changed but id figure shorter would be better.

your cable is prolly weird because of the u turn it has to make to get to the latch and then it has to pull the release back towards it.

hmm 2 people with them routed like that! i dunno maybe it is factory they prolly changed the latch too because i cant see it making a u turn to pull the release and being relible

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I'm not 100%, but I believe mine is run like the red line as well. Well, not exactly, it runs up over the strut tower... but close enough.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I got tired of chasing the release-cable-issues in my 90 and replaced with an Ebay 20lb solenoid... ~$20 shipped.

Only issue I've had is while undergoing swaps, sometimes the battery not even being in the car (need power to pop)..