Extreme modification Legality (for the street)

Mueller87

Mar 10, 2013
Norfolk VA
I have seen many cars with lots of interesting things done to them. Plenty of threads give great detail on whats been done and even better pictures of the progress.

Only one thing- I havent been able to find out what the minimum requirements are for a state auto inspection, assuming a lot of things have been changed on a car.

Now I know each state is different, and I know thtere are simple fundamentals that each car must comply with (in states that require an inspection) to pass an inspection. Brake lights, smog control, bumpers, seatbelts etc. But where would somebody find out what you absolutley must have in order to pass?

(Mostly I'm thinking about roll cage, fuel cell, relocation of fuel fill points, and other racing type work on the car)

I don't think I could just run down the inspection checklist and make sure all these requirements were met because even if this was done I'm not 100% sure the inspector would still have to pass it.

This information is critical to my build, so if anyone knows of any resources where this information can be found or has any first hand experience of something heavily modified passing a state inspection I'd love to know about it and surely some other users here could also benefit from it.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Mueller87;1932602 said:
...I don't think I could just run down the inspection checklist and make sure all these requirements were met because even if this was done I'm not 100% sure the inspector would still have to pass it...

The other side of this coin is that you don't met something on the checklist but the inspector still passes you. We are required to have cats here in Arizona...I don't have one and I still pass visual. Also check if your state has any exemptions for "collectors" vehicles...I know in Arizona if you have collectors car insurance then you can register your car as a collectors vehicle and are exempt from emissions and visual inspections. Collectors insurance will also help you recoop your loses if something does happen to your car...I spent $30k rebuilding a '77 Blazer, I plowed into a 90 year old lady in her cady totaling my Blazer...insurance gave me the "value of the vehicle" which to them was only $2400...despite the $30k+ in receipes I sent them.

There are options out there for you...just gonna have to research them and pick the best one for you.

Mueller87

Mar 10, 2013
Norfolk VA
Insidious Surmiser;1932843 said:
helps to know people... I can have my car passed without anyone even looking at it (don't ask) not that it wouldn't pass anyhow... (it would)

I know someone who could do it at home, but I'm stationed in VA right now and the car is registered here. My main goal is to build a car that I can drive every day and still be very safe on and off the track.