External Wastegate Question

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Does anyone know what the color codes for the external wastegate springs are? I have seven springs in the following colors:
Black
Brown
Silver
White
Yellow
Yellow (maybe orange)
Brown w/yellow stripe
Also, how do you determine which strength spring to use? I plan on running, say about 18-22lbs boost.
I did search on the HKS website but they don't have all the colors and the ones they do have are white, red, yellow and purple so they may be proprietary to their wg's.
Any help is appreciated.
Chris

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It depends on which manufacturer they are from. :(

Get a weight... about a pound. Put it on top of each spring, and measure how much it compresses the spring. Line them up in order of most compression to least compression. At least that will give you the order.

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Well, I did some more searching and found a wg similar to mine at ssautochrome and they also sell the springs. I appears that these are the strengths for the following colors (if in fact this is the wg that I have).
Black 1.1 bar (15.95 psi)
Brown 1.6 bar(23.2 psi)
Silver 1.3 bar (18.8 psi)
White 1.2 bar (17.4 psi)
Yellow 1.5 bar (21.7 psi)
Yellow (maybe orange) ???
Brown w/yellow stripe (came installed in wg) ???
Now how do you determine which one to use for a given boost goal? I figured you would use a lower pressure spring due to the function of the boost controller and a degree of safety margin.

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
HellsLegion said:
It could be an HKS clone, Im still trying to find the article that I read with all the wastegate spring colors.
It is an HKS clone. I believe this is the same one:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

and these are the springs they sell for it:
http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1546

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
It's only Driftmotion approved if you buy a real HKS spring and throw away all those colored springs. The HKS spring is $40 but it will not fatigue over time. You also need to polish the piston shaft.

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Sorry Aaron, didn't mean to endorse you without prior approval. Only you had stated in the For Sale thread that you had the same wg and liked it. Do you know anything about the spring rates and what I should use for my application (18-22psi).

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
chriso said:
Sorry Aaron, didn't mean to endorse you without prior approval. Only you had stated in the For Sale thread that you had the same wg and liked it. Do you know anything about the spring rates and what I should use for my application (18-22psi).

I didn't have a problem with it, but from what I have heard the springs can't really be trusted. I would do like GrimJack was saying and try a lower one in the wg first and see what it does. They are easy to change.