External wastegate muffling

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
I did a search on this forum and SF and I haven't found an answer. Is there an exhaust system that takes the external wastegate and reroutes it back into the exhaust system, or is that a custom fabricated sort of deal? I would like to convert my 7m to run a t4 v-band turbo, but the only thing that is holding me back is the fact that the external wastegate just vents to the atmosphere. I don't want car to get really loud when the wastegate opens, but I do recognize the benefits that running a t4 v-band turbo gives. I think I have heard of people adding little mufflers onto the wastegate, but I would prefer to run it back through the exhaust if I could.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Damn. I guess I need to get a welder. Someone could stand to make a few bucks if they made a downpipe that was built with an external wastegate in mind. I'd sure buy that! I guess it would be a bit more difficult with all the external wastegate positions and such though. Maybe if you made the header and downpipe a matched set...

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
Well the issue is that
1. Not to many companies make a full bolt T4 setup for a 7M.
2. With that being said to get a setup with V-band DP to match up with whatever turbo you choose. (Exhaust turbines vary in size) Vary on what turbo you decide to go with.
3. Depending on turbo size you WG able to bleed off enough pressure and fast enough to be controllable.(IE 1 60mm WG or 2 40mm WG's for a big turbo or 40 or 50 for a small to medium sized turbo)
4. To match the above 3 together you basically need a custom setup, or to talk to the manufacturer for a custom setup based off of their off the shelf units.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Any decent exhaust shop should be able to do it. Just get everything installed and drive it over. Should only need the wastegate flange and they can make the bend for you

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
when I switch to a T4 I'm planning on getting a small borla muffler for the WG dump tube. Don't really care to re-circulate.

BTW I did have mine recirculated once before.... and the shop did an atrocious job. Absolutely killed the power the car was making.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Well I might just have to go with the extra muffler then. You brought up something else I never even thought of. I didn't know you had to size waste gates for the turbo application. Yet more things I need to think about...

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
To small of a wastegate can cause boost creep due to not being able to bleed off enough exhaust pressure to retain a set boost pressure.