External oil pressure regulator?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I was talking about 7m oil pumps and oil pressure yesterday with Andy, we both think the oiling system on the 7m could be improved. We were throwing ideas around and talking about how shimming the oil pump seems to give different results on different engines. I thought maybe an external adjustable oil pressure regulator could be useful. It would let you fine tune for different oil weights or ambient temperatures. It would require blocking off the stock oil pressure regulator port in the pump, and then using an extertal unit, similar to an Aeromotive afpr. I wonder if an aeromotive afpr could work for this? Or is there an oil pressure regulator out there already designed for it? Or am I crazy :nuts:

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Maybe the variance from engine to engine with shimming the pump, is simply because old springs are being used? Is this a wearable part? Sorry if this is slightly off topic :)

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
IJ. said:
What failures is the stock system causing?

Excessive bearing wear, resulting in rod knock. Toyota must have recognized something was wrong, because the jz engines make around 40psi at idle, not 7psi.

Nick M said:
Most engine manufactures want the oil volume to go up with RPM though, not boost right?

Yes, and it would still function like stock, but possibly a little more pressure under heavy load (boost) would be a good thing.

jetjock said:
The last question applies ;)

Somehow I knew you would answer the last question :biglaugh: This would be for engines making 500bhp or more.

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
See, I'm not crazy! You're not running the stock oiling system either. :biglaugh:

The last 7m we built we put a 5mm shim in the pump and it worked well, the oil pressure raised about 10psi from normal iirc.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
IJ. said:
Yep right up there with fitting Strut braces or a 1 piece DS to a Mk3 ;).......

:rofl:

I tend to worry about my oil pressure...since it always seems so low (barely above 0 @ idle, and never goes over 35psi)...I think the braided oil line upgrade was a good idea, as well as shimming the pump...

The external regulator would be useful in certain situations...or if you're just really anal. :D

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Anal isn't the word I'd use. Tribology principles don't change between a 250 and a 500 hp engine. I'd like to hear from an engineering standpoint exactly how higher oil pressure would be beneficial. I already know but I'd still like to hear it ;)