Explain Blow-Off Valves to me please?

CJP28

Apr 8, 2012
Houston, Texas, United States
I have an all original (engine wise) 1990 Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE. And I want to install an aftermarket blow-off valve on it. I understand that there are several set ups to install one, as there are different styles of blow-off valves. Will a blow-off valve affect the performance of my car? If so how? What is the best type of blow-off valve, what is the worst and why? Thanks a lot for your help in advance guys! :D

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
A turbo engine has pressurized air. When the throttle body closes that forced air has to go somewhere. That's the BOV's (also called the bypass valve) job. There are many different styles but a good BOV is one that does its job and well. If you are on an AFM system (as 7MGTEs are) then you'll also need to recirculate your blow off valve.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Your stock system is recirculated. It comes right off the 3000 pipe. You can use a Bosch Porsche/SAAB BPV that looks and fits OEM, but flows more air to reduce pressure when letting off the gas.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
RazoE;1850500 said:
Your stock system is recirculated. It comes right off the 3000 pipe. You can use a Bosch Porsche/SAAB BPV that looks and fits OEM, but flows more air to reduce pressure when letting off the gas.
This. The Bosch valve is a reasonable upgrade for a nearly stock car.

That said, there are a lot of other things that I'd attend to first, and then I'd evaluate goals and if the Bosch is going to be enough to get you there.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Most of the Bosch plastic BPV (used on VW, Audi, some Mitsubishi models) are only good below 15psi, above that they're known to leak boost. Something to keep in mind when upping the boost later.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If what you want is something that makes NOISE when you let up off the throttle then you're looking for something other than the Bosch. The Bosch has been known to make a "hooting" noise, but what most people think of when they think of the sound that a BOV makes, they're thinking of one that vents to atmosphere.

You CAN do this with your car, but keep in mind that when it does this, you can end up with issues with how the car runs. The factory electronics measure air before it enters the turbo, and the BOV lets some of that air out in order to relieve pressure between the turbo and the throttle plate. This is so that you don't get compressor surge ruining the turbo. The problem is that the ECU still thinks that that air is there, and needs fuel to burn. The result (if you're lucky) is that it runs really really rich for a bit every time that you shift. If you're not lucky, the engine will stall.

You can learn to avoid the stalling issue with how you handle the gas, but it's still annoying.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
There are other aftermarket BOV's that you can get a recirc attachment for. I had a Blitz on my car that you could hear plenty well and it was recirculated. If you want the noise though don't go Bosch. The Bosch ones are quite quiet and don't give that distinctive "PSHHHHHHHHHH". Just be careful with what you're buying as there's a lot of fakes of reputable brands out there (especially the HKS SSQV) that are complete crap constuction and made from poor quality materials.

Here's what I had on my car:
http://www.blitzpowerusa.com/products/bovvd/ssbovvd.html

Granted, mine was attached with a weld on flange, but if you got the flange and just welded a piece of tube under it you could easily hook up a hose rather than hard mounting it straight on to the piping.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I have the HKS SSQV (Not a knockoff) with a recirculation fitting. Without the fitting, it was very loud, which is what it sounds like the OP might be wanting, but with the recirculation fitting, it's quiet, almost as much so as stock (Which I like.) A real hard blow-off will still make a whoosh noise, but not that sharp high pitched noise which it did without the fitting. (Which was still better than the compressor surge noise which I was getting with the stock BPV. Though actually compressor surge sounds really cool if you don't actually know that it's really bad.)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Everyone likes the HKS SSQV. It's more used than Pamela Anderson.

HKS with recirculating fitting or a Blitz. I believe Turbo XS has one as well.

CJP28

Apr 8, 2012
Dan_Gyoba;1850815 said:
If what you want is something that makes NOISE when you let up off the throttle then you're looking for something other than the Bosch. The Bosch has been known to make a "hooting" noise, but what most people think of when they think of the sound that a BOV makes, they're thinking of one that vents to atmosphere.

You CAN do this with your car, but keep in mind that when it does this, you can end up with issues with how the car runs. The factory electronics measure air before it enters the turbo, and the BOV lets some of that air out in order to relieve pressure between the turbo and the throttle plate. This is so that you don't get compressor surge ruining the turbo. The problem is that the ECU still thinks that that air is there, and needs fuel to burn. The result (if you're lucky) is that it runs really really rich for a bit every time that you shift. If you're not lucky, the engine will stall.

You can learn to avoid the stalling issue with how you handle the gas, but it's still annoying.

Sounds a bit risky. Oh, and silly of me! I forgot to mention that my Supra is automatic. Sadly. Lol I wonder if the effects could be different as for example it will just run as very rich when the gear changes. But I know that ECU problem will still affect mine. It all makes sense.

CJP28

Apr 8, 2012
radiod;1850966 said:
There are other aftermarket BOV's that you can get a recirc attachment for. I had a Blitz on my car that you could hear plenty well and it was recirculated. If you want the noise though don't go Bosch. The Bosch ones are quite quiet and don't give that distinctive "PSHHHHHHHHHH". Just be careful with what you're buying as there's a lot of fakes of reputable brands out there (especially the HKS SSQV) that are complete crap constuction and made from poor quality materials.

Here's what I had on my car:
http://www.blitzpowerusa.com/products/bovvd/ssbovvd.html

Granted, mine was attached with a weld on flange, but if you got the flange and just welded a piece of tube under it you could easily hook up a hose rather than hard mounting it straight on to the piping.

Haa I knew that Bosch was a silencer type! And ahh yes there are loadfulls of fake HKS SSQVs on Ebay! Lmao Wow you have the legendary Blitz, pretty nice! It has a great sound. I think getting weld on flange, is the best setup in my opinion, it looks great. That may be the route I will take.

CJP28

Apr 8, 2012
Dan_Gyoba;1850973 said:
I have the HKS SSQV (Not a knockoff) with a recirculation fitting. Without the fitting, it was very loud, which is what it sounds like the OP might be wanting, but with the recirculation fitting, it's quiet, almost as much so as stock (Which I like.) A real hard blow-off will still make a whoosh noise, but not that sharp high pitched noise which it did without the fitting. (Which was still better than the compressor surge noise which I was getting with the stock BPV. Though actually compressor surge sounds really cool if you don't actually know that it's really bad.)

That is the good thing about the HKS you can have the sound to your personal desire that is pretty nice, I like that.