Experts needed: Timing belt running toward engine

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Hey all,
Well, pretty deep into my build now, new engine is refreshed and everything is just about to go back together. Only problem I'm still facing is with this damn timing belt.

The timing belt (even after moving it back to normal) will tend to work its way back toward the engine. The farthest it sits is right at the edge (flush) of the cam gears.

What I've checked:
1) Previous owner told me it was the bracket on the oil pump shaft, but that checked out fine. It's nice and tight and compared to my other 7M (that doesn't have this problem) It's exactly the same.

2) Next, I was told to check the crank timing pulley, the rear lip on it sometimes can snap off causing the timing belt to lose its guide. This wasn't the case.

3) Checked the cams and the crankshaft for any in/out play. Everything checked out.

4) I was told it could possibly be the timing tensioner, I don't see how, but It's going to be replaced anyways on re-assembly.

Guys, I'm stumped. Please tell me someone has had this issue and has an available solution for me. I'm ready to assemble the engine TOMORROW and I don't want to put it back together to find that the problem still exists.

Thanks in advance for any help,
-Mike

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
t belts usually go to there own spot not to where you set it. if its not rubbing or falling off its fine.

MK-beast

May 26, 2007
Toronto
I would like to know the answer to this as well as I have the same issue with mine except that my timing belt tends to pull away from the engine (Toward radiator).

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
If the belt is running back theres a good change the the washer that is on the back of the crankshaft gear has broken free.
I had the same problem and change the gear to fix the problem.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
suprahooked;1483209 said:
If the belt is running back theres a good change the the washer that is on the back of the crankshaft gear has broken free.
I had the same problem and change the gear to fix the problem.

whitemike;1483114 said:
What I've checked:
2) Next, I was told to check the crank timing pulley, the rear lip on it sometimes can snap off causing the timing belt to lose its guide. This wasn't the case.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
I have the going forward problem and yes mine is rubbing, or at least it was but it's not actually rubbing anymore, but regardless no matter how many times I fix it back to where it goes it INSTANTLY goes back when it is cranked, sorry to thread Jack a little but I'd like answers too.....

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
giterboosted;1483960 said:
I have the going forward problem and yes mine is rubbing, or at least it was but it's not actually rubbing anymore, but regardless no matter how many times I fix it back to where it goes it INSTANTLY goes back when it is cranked, sorry to thread Jack a little but I'd like answers too.....

I had it moving forward on my previous 7m. It turned out to be the front guide snapped off the crank timing gear. Check it out, and get a new one.

-Mike

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
IJ: I've taken pictures of everything the timing belt comes in contact with, as well as the oil pump driveshaft, let me know if you spot anything. You can see where the belt sat on the cam sprockets.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Not sure, Ian.

Something I seem to have neglected to mention, I don't know how, is that I've never ran this motor.

I picked up this motor a little while ago, It's strong with quality parts inside, but needed some maintenance. Replaced all bearings, main seals, oil pump shaft seal, all related gaskets, cam seals, valve cover gaskets, water pump, timing belt tensioner, thermostat, etc.

I've never ran this motor, but the previous owner is a friend, and I trust what he told me. All I know is what was stated.

You're confident it could have been the tensioner? The new tensioner will be installed tomorrow, and everything is being torqued to spec so far.

Thanks,
-Mike

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If it's be over tensioned on the belt that will pull the belt off centre but more inportantly if the bolt has been over tightened it can damage the wall of #1 cylinder :(

Even at the Toyota spec of 36 ft/lbs I've measured half a thou deflection on a new thickwall casting.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
IJ.;1484122 said:
If it's be over tensioned on the belt that will pull the belt off centre but more inportantly if the bolt has been over tightened it can damage the wall of #1 cylinder :(

Even at the Toyota spec of 36 ft/lbs I've measured half a thou deflection on a new thickwall casting.

Holy shit.

I really hope this isn't the case. Taking the tensioner off, it actually kind of felt loose from what i remember. Either way, what's my options at this point.

I guess I'll just put it all back together and hope for the best. This motor was running (strong) before it was pulled and sold to me.

Thanks for the insight,
-Mike

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
To paraphrase The Oracle from The Matrix I hate to bring good people bad news Mike, I learnt by accident after trashing my original mint GE block by over torquing the bolt :(

(could never understand why it had horrible blow by on the dyno at even low boost)

Also for the belt tension just buy a fresh spring from Toyota (they're cheap) and let it set the tension per the TRSM then pull the bolt down to 36 ft/lbs and you're good to go.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
IJ.;1484126 said:
Also for the belt tension just buy a fresh spring from Toyota (they're cheap) and let it set the tension per the TRSM then pull the bolt down to 36 ft/lbs and you're good to go.

Sounds good, Ian. I already have the new tensioner and spring coming to the shop tomorrow. Let's hope this solves the problem, and I don't have the blow-by problem of cyl. 1 that you had.

Thanks a lot, look out for my build thread, I have tons of pics. It should be up any day now (once the motor is done)

Time to head off to bed, It's 3:37AM and I have to be back at the shop at 8AM :aigo:

-Mike

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Was the block ever machined without the timing cover being machined? Theres a little spot on the pass side of the bock where the head meets the block, you can actually feel if there is a ridge where the timing cover meets the bock. If its higher than the deck surface it could cause your head to be leaning back in a sense and making the belt ride back.