Experiences with these cast pistons?

kemicalx

BHGBTDT
Dec 12, 2005
Geelong, Vic
Ey guys,

I'm trying to rebuild my 7m affordably, and due to some nasty scoring on the pistons it looks like I won't be getting out of it without boring the cylinders and replacing the pistons with some oversized items.

I really can't afford to get some forgies, though I’d like to, but I have a found a couple of sets of new cast pistons on ebay at much more affordable prices.

here
and here

Do any of you have any experience with either of those brands? I'll be chasing a little bit of power 200-220rwkw (not immediately but in the near future), with basic modifications, exhaust system, map sensor’d engine management, bigger intercooler and an improved fuel system.

I don’t mind if these pistons won’t be able to hold there own up where forged pistons would. But so long as they are as durable as a set of new standard pistons I’ll be happy.

The same seller also has bearings and stuff for sale here which I’d likely buy off him at the same time. Once again if anyone has some past experience using this sort of ebay sourced stuff I’d love to hear from you.

Cheers guys,
Ashlin.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
No I actually bought a brand new Toyota block..... yeah I know insane but I had time constraints and couldn't find a decent used block.

These pistons are brand new in a box.

kemicalx

BHGBTDT
Dec 12, 2005
Geelong, Vic
To be honest i'm not sure if my cylinders do need boring, more than one piston has scuffing but IMO the cylinder walls still all feel smooth, they definatly could use a hone and there is a little surface rust where the pistons rings were but there doesn't appear to be any physical scoring *shrugs* I'll have to get someone with a bit more knowledge to check it out first. But presuming it is ok how much would you sell those pistons for?

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
damn u victorians,You get all the good stuff :3d_frown: (by that i mean Ians Beast! :naughty: ) If i buy these pistons will you drive over to perth and deliver them too Ian?

Ive got Kings bearings in my current motor atm.Got .25undersize as i had spun a bearing on a rod and had to grind the crank.The machineshop im going to tells me Kings are just as good as clevite77's so i'll go with them again.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mik: LOL I'll stick em in a box and ship em over as I just don't have the time to drop em over!

I wouldn't use Kings even if they gave them to me I saw a really badly damaged set recently :(.

Ive got the Nippon Racing pistons, They are a good looking set and I also didnt have to grind on any of the rings cause they were all in respectful clearances. The one thing that really pissed me off was the shipping. My pistons came all beat up because they were only in little plastic bags and the divider inside the box wasnt strong enough to keep them from hitting each other. So I had to file on the pistons cause of all the knicks in them. I informed the seller through email but never got a responce and i never left feedback.
It is the same seller in that link too...

kemicalx

BHGBTDT
Dec 12, 2005
Geelong, Vic
I've taken the block into the guys who have taken care of machining on the head. The bottom end will require boring, total costs are as follows (in AUD)

Bored/Honed - $160+GST
Decked - $60+GST
Main bearings - $80+GST
Rod bearings - $50+GST
Pistons - $228+GST
Rings - $103+GST

All reasonably priced imo. My only real concern are the pistons.. They are hypereutectic pistons (a brand called Hypatec) for those of you who don't know this means they are cast aluminium piston with an with additional silicon content. Because of the silicone they have a reduced thermal expansion rate and thus can be installed with tighter clearances and make a nice seal. I’ve also read are 30% stronger than standard items.. However, hypereutectic pistons being harder are also a lot more brittle and apparently pretty unforgiving with engine knocking.

Presuming they are 30% stronger than standard items I can't see why they shouldn't be perfectly fine for my goals. I do intend on running higher than stock boost. 10-12psi but it seems so long as I’m vigilant in ensuring my car won't lean out they should be fine, yer?. I’d love to b able to afford some nice forged pistons and have peace of mind but this is my first engine rebuild and a) I can’t really afford it and b) if I stuff something up and destroy this motor I’d rather destroy $250 pistons than $700 ones :p , there’s always time in the future for a proper engine rebuild anyway ;)

Last edited: