Expensive intercooler or cheap intercooler

redmk3

Mar 29, 2008
Idaho
is it worth it buying a cheap intercooler kit from ebay for $400 or just buy one for $1200 :cry:

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
well, if you're going to buy a full 'kit', get a properly engineered one. Get the expensive one.

If you're willing to do the fabrication yourself, get a universal piping kit that has a bunch of bends, straight peices, etc (you'll need to plan the layout first, then see which kit has the peices you need). the reason the expensive kits are expensive, is cause people have actually put work into making them fit right. The cheap shit kits are just pipes that you put together with an insane amount of couplers.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
The ebay intercoolers are actually pretty decent, I got mine for free (GF + Valentine's Day = intercooler) retail on it is $200. Unless you are getting the full kit there's no reason to pay the extra.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Im running an ebay intercoolers kit that cost me 215 dollars shipped for EVERYTHING. T bolt clamps, silicone couplers, rolled edges, and brackets and intercooler.

Works awesome! Running it on a 57 trim and coulnt be happier.

If i had a shit load of extra money id buy a greddy to be pimp, but im happy with my generic one!

:D

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Depends on if you want to make Maximum HP,
or just look good......

You can't make good HP with a cheap intercooler.
Their pressure drop is higher at any given flow than a good name brand unit.

If your happy with just going faster than you could with the stock POS thing,
then the chinaBay units are fine.

But if your trying to get all you can out of a 7M,
the El-Cheapos will cost you power.

But I would go with something better for an intercooler before I ever spent $$ on a better turbo.
That stock 1940s steam radiator that we got stuck with is a real flow restrictor.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
gofastgeorge;980283 said:
Depends on if you want to make Maximum HP,
or just look good......

Proof?

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
First of all how much horsepower are you aiming for? This will tell you the intercooler you need to get. For example im aiming for 450-500 rwhp so I got the Spearco replica from XS POWER paid $120 shipped and if you need the piping. They sell the piping kit for about $110 shipped with everything you need for the piping, thats less than $250 dlls for the whole intercooler and piping setup.:naughty:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
My whole setup cost a tad bit over $500.00, that included 2.5" hardpipes, t-bolts, 3 ply couplers, reducers where needed, bigger Spearco style replica, and this doesn't include the Synapse Sychronic BOV, HKS flange, and HKS flange adaptor for the BOV, add another $250 onto that ;).

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
gofastgeorge;980283 said:

OneJoeZee;980290 said:

starscream5000;981148 said:
:werd:

IIRC the ebay intercoolers and name brand ones had near identicl pressure drops across the boards...

Yeah I'm going to have to go with Joe and starscream on this one. Where the hell are you getting this info from, please post it up we would all like to see it.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
been running an ebay ic for... at least 2 years now without issue.... they are great.. i would love to see where you got your info from that they suck

Red7m

Oct 16, 2005
Hollidaysburg PA
I remember seeing that Dave Buschur testing the big 24x12x3 ebay ic against a name brand IC on a 600hp Evo and he lost roughly 80hp at that power level because the ebay IC did not cool as well and cause the motor to knock. But I am sure he could of changed the tune alittle and gained back some of the loss. So I beleive that the ebay core are good for under 500hp but not much more above that.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Red7m;981305 said:
I remember seeing that Dave Buschur testing the big 24x12x3 ebay ic against a name brand IC on a 600hp Evo and he lost roughly 80hp at that power level because the ebay IC did not cool as well and cause the motor to knock. But I am sure he could of changed the tune alittle and gained back some of the loss. So I beleive that the ebay core are good for under 500hp but not much more above that.

Well the EVO intercooler is a great stock intercooler in the first place.

The MK3 and MK4 not so much.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
the way I see it is purchasing a name brand intercooler is like purchasing electric fans "for the power increase."

IMHO, the pressurization loss is so miniscule of a difference between the two that it's not worth the extra cash. If you want PERFECT fitment, buy name brand. If you're a do-it-yourselfer, buy the universal kit.

I have an ebay intercooler and have had no problems out of it whatsoever.

-Devon Goodspeed

SUPRARICE87

Apr 3, 2008
PHILLY
MKIIINA;980192 said:
The ebay intercoolers are actually pretty decent, I got mine for free (GF + Valentine's Day = intercooler) retail on it is $200. Unless you are getting the full kit there's no reason to pay the extra.

MARRY THE WOMAN!!!! If my woman would buy me a gift like that I would shed tears on the spot!!!! She must really care about you dude. :nono:

She knows you too well.