"Exhibition of *excel*eration" ticket question...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
If you've had good luck with them by all means go for it. Just I'm not sure I would want to risk my future with a lawyer I've never spoke with before and who may not know my name in court. Then again I've never been ticketed for anything before so I would never use a lawyer pool service.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
iwannadie;1708180 said:
If you've had good luck with them by all means go for it. Just I'm not sure I would want to risk my future with a lawyer I've never spoke with before and who may not know my name in court. Then again I've never been ticketed for anything before so I would never use a lawyer pool service.

dude, im not going to get into a pissing match with you. but you have no idea what you are talking about. you heard stories, ive been there, done that...personally. do you think they just draw lotto balls the morning of the court date to see who gets the case? there are still statements to be made, papers to file, things to be done in advance just like any other legal proceeding. if the participant in the story you heard had a lawyer who had never spoken to him, or knew his name, the participant seriously fucked up somewhere.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
so just wondering but where you boosting or something for them to give you a ticket that basically means ''street racing''

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Keep it civil, guys. Also, "street racing" and exhibition of acceleration are totally different. "Street racing" is a criminal offense and by definition is a willful comparison of speed. Exhibition - meaning a public display or showing - of acceleration is just a $100 ticket in WY.

And I've talked with te72 about this via PM, so he knows my POV.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
dubsupra209;1708185 said:
so just wondering but where you boosting or something for them to give you a ticket that basically means ''street racing''

Dunckel nailed it. The roads here tend to be covered in a thin layer of dirt/sand/diesel soot/whatever, and I went to turn left and go into my proper lane (usually go into the far lane simply because my turn is off the right lane anyway), but this time... anyway, the intersection has a crest at the middle of it, and as you take this left turn, if you turn shortly after the crest, your car will naturally want to go sideways... which mine did. Didn't intend to, wasn't boosting, wasn't trying to show off, it just happened. Anyway, recovered the slide easily, remained in control the whole time and then... my stupid right foot felt a bit inspired by how smoothly I recovered the back end. Boosted it a bit, and unfortunately didn't see the WHP car at the intersection that was northbound (I was also northbound).

That said, I've grown up since my youth, I used to drive like a complete asshat in Phoenix, but have fortunately learned that I like my cars too much to risk them anymore. Any time we've raced anything around here, it's been out of traffic, generally on empty roads with good visibility. All it takes around here is one wayward antelope to ruin your day (and car), so to answer your question, no, I was not racing anybody or anything. Just had a lapse of judgement and am now dealing with the consequences. :nono:

winsauce

they call me cotton jr
Sep 17, 2010
Dayton, OH
Understandible situation with the added context... props for steping up, honestly I would have most likely dont the same thing if I recovered a slide like that just driving around.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Yeah, sometimes my right foot feels a bit too inspired for my own good. Looking back, this happened in probably the most crowded intersection of town, so I probably deserve whatever comes out of this, but I'm still exploring options. Have the evening to myself again to look up lawyers to speak with...

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
te72;1709836 said:
so I probably deserve whatever comes out of this, but I'm still exploring options.

Like I said, if you want absolution, go see a priest. ;) This is government we're talking about.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Supracentral;1709844 said:
Like I said, if you want absolution, go see a priest. ;) This is government we're talking about.

+1
You'll be kicking yourself if you go in without help.. I know i did when i had to have everyone else drive me around for 6 months.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Get a lawyer. I got pulled over for acceleration and got it plead down to a fix it ticket for a sticky throttle.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Supracentral;1709844 said:

Working on the lawyer thing guys. I figure I give them enough of my tax money haha...

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
mecevans;1710263 said:
Get a lawyer. I got pulled over for acceleration and got it plead down to a fix it ticket for a sticky throttle.

I like that one, lol.

Hope this all works out for the best.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Update time, although it's a small one. Have a meeting with a lawyer Thursday at lunch to discuss whether it would be worth it to hire him or not, and what my chances are of getting this reduced. The way I figure it, hire a lawyer for a few hundred now, or pay a few hundred more on insurance later if it gets reported to your insurance company...

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
What constitute rapid acceleration? 5 mph/second, 10? Your vehicle is also a project car and your a supra enthusiast. Tell them its old and things wear out but your restoring it. During the time of the malfunction you never broke the speed limit or lot control so nobody was in danger.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
te72;1714801 said:
The way I figure it, hire a lawyer for a few hundred now, or pay a few hundred more on insurance later and carry around a negative on your driving record that could effect future employment, could be used against you in a lawsuit if you're involved in an accident, and will effect the way police treat you the next time you are stopped.[strike]if it gets reported to your insurance company...[/strike]

Fixed that for ya ;) There's more than one reason to keep a 100% clean driving record.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mecevans;1714827 said:
What constitute rapid acceleration? 5 mph/second, 10? Your vehicle is also a project car and your a supra enthusiast. Tell them its old and things wear out but your restoring it. During the time of the malfunction you never broke the speed limit or lot control so nobody was in danger.
Heh, don't think that one is gonna work, even with a clean record. ;)

Supracentral;1714912 said:
Fixed that for ya ;) There's more than one reason to keep a 100% clean driving record.

Haha, thanks man, good point. How do they go about record keeping though, does anyone on here know? I have an AZ license and live in Wyoming...

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
te72;1715446 said:
Haha, thanks man, good point. How do they go about record keeping though, does anyone on here know? I have an AZ license and live in Wyoming...

The way I described. Hire a lawyer, tell him you want to avoid moving violations and points and that you're willing to pay fines. He'll plead it down and will work a deal with the solicitor. You'll never have a trial, it will cost money, but your record will stay clean*

*= this applies to sane offenses like normal speeding, etc... If you get busted doing 146 in a 55, you're getting a speeding ticket. If you have a very good lawyer, you might get charged with 72 in a 55, not that I'd know that from personal experience or anything... :naughty:

Pokey2301

Mar 2, 2010
Spangdahlem, Germany
i got the same thing in tucson in 2007, exhibition of acceleration was 8 pts, and just cut a deal with the prosecuter and judge on my trial date for excessive speeding, the fine was hire by about 100$ but the pts violation was much lower, so good luck man

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Pokey2301;1715569 said:
i got the same thing in tucson in 2007, exhibition of acceleration was 8 pts, and just cut a deal with the prosecuter and judge on my trial date for excessive speeding, the fine was hire by about 100$ but the pts violation was much lower, so good luck man
Wast this in a Subaru? If so I think I read a post you had made... if not disregard that.

Supracentral;1715464 said:
The way I described. Hire a lawyer, tell him you want to avoid moving violations and points and that you're willing to pay fines. He'll plead it down and will work a deal with the solicitor. You'll never have a trial, it will cost money, but your record will stay clean*

*= this applies to sane offenses like normal speeding, etc... If you get busted doing 146 in a 55, you're getting a speeding ticket. If you have a very good lawyer, you might get charged with 72 in a 55, not that I'd know that from personal experience or anything... :naughty:

You must have a hell of a lawyer... That said, I have good news and bad news. Bad news is that, after speaking to a lawyer yesterday, I found out that the judge in this particular case nearly *always* sides with the officer on things of this nature. Worse news is that Around here that sort of thing is entirely subjective and up to the officer's discretion. He told me that it is extremely rare that he advises that someone would be better off taking their chances alone than by hiring him given the odds I have of getting this reduced in this case. :nono:

The good news is, in Wyoming, I don't believe we *have* a point system. The way they treat traffic offenses on records here seems to be a joke unless you have a CDL or work for DOT. However, given that I have an AZ license, it may end up reflecting on there at some point...

So, hire a lawyer at $2000+ for a relatively minor offense here, or take my chances with a $110 ticket... if I were swimming in money, I'd take the former, but I'm not. This may have worse consequences in other, more draconian states, but from what I'm hearing from people with spotty driving history (tickets, DUI's, etc) around here, I'm not terribly afraid of what may come.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
where are you in wyoming? i was in rock springs when i got mine... it was easy to talk the prosecutor into reducing it.

im not sure but i dont think wyoming will report to az. as long as the ticket doesnt go unpaid