Exhaust wrap?

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I'm having problems with underhood temps going high enough that my new wiring harness is melting! It was suggested to me that I wrap the exhaust manifold and downpipe with a DEI exhaust wrap, and I was planning on it until a buddy of mine said that keeping all that heat in would cause my manifold to crack...

What do yo guys think? I've seen a lot of guys around here with wrapped manifolds? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Collin

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
got_boosted said:
I'm having problems with underhood temps going high enough that my new wiring harness is melting! It was suggested to me that I wrap the exhaust manifold and downpipe with a DEI exhaust wrap, and I was planning on it until a buddy of mine said that keeping all that heat in would cause my manifold to crack...

What do yo guys think? I've seen a lot of guys around here with wrapped manifolds? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Collin

I have had my exhaust manifold ceramic coated and am thinking of buying a
turbo heat shield.

This might help you.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/thermal_barrier_index.php

Cheers,
Roy

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
The exhaust wrap that was on my downpipes when I got my kit didn't seem to help much at all. But then again, the wrap job was not very good or complete. It was a little toasty under the hood on the turbo side... Although not melting my harness.

I'm having ceramic coating done to the turbine housings downpipes and manifolds right now. Hope it helps drop the temps. I'll let you know how it goes. Might be a good option for you too. I don't plan to re-wrap the downpipes again though.

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
tte said:
I have had my exhaust manifold ceramic coated and am thinking of buying a
turbo heat shield.

This might help you.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/thermal_barrier_index.php

Cheers,
Roy

Do you have any before and after experience with the ceramic coated manifold? Did coating it really make a big difference with underhood temps? I was told that wrapping it works much better. I've had ceramic coated headers on non-turbo cars, and they didn't really hold in much heat over uncoated. Coated looks much better, but I'm looking for functionality.

Collin

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
In reference to DEI product, if you use the Hi-Temp Silicone Coating first, then coat with the DEI Wrap, it works very well. :)

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
got_boosted said:
Do you have any before and after experience with the ceramic coated manifold? Did coating it really make a big difference with underhood temps? I was told that wrapping it works much better. I've had ceramic coated headers on non-turbo cars, and they didn't really hold in much heat over uncoated. Coated looks much better, but I'm looking for functionality.

Collin

Well for my car I noticed my underhood temps were lower. Ceramic coated exhuast manifold with the stock heat shields worked for me.

I think for the turbo its best to use a heat shield bag. It holds in the heat much better. I have to buy that and I plan to also route incoming cold air from the front via aluminum flexible ducting to the turbo area or I might place a vent in the hood above the turbo area.

Cheers,
Roy

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
supramike7m said:
thats what i did with my old setup. coated, then wraped, then coated again. worked well like that.

That's what I was thinking I would do. So nobody has had a problem with manifolds cracking from holding the extra heat in?

Collin

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Also you will need to find out why the temp is so high that it melts the wiring.

I think alot of ppl are here have high hp cars and the heat does not melt their wiring.

How high is your exhaust temps?

Cheers,
Roy

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
tte said:
Also you will need to find out why the temp is so high that it melts the wiring.

I think alot of ppl are here have high hp cars and the heat does not melt their wiring.

How high is your exhaust temps?

Cheers,
Roy

I don't have an EGT gauge, but the problem may be due to the fact that I am stull running a stock exhaust, and it's very restrictive compared to the rest of my setup. It hasn't started to melt the wiring yet as much as the split loom around it is melting a bit, and I want to do something about it before it gets worse.

Collin

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
got_boosted said:
but the problem may be due to the fact that I am stull running a stock exhaust
Collin

That would be a good guess.

That stock crush bent 2 1/4 or 2.5(whatever it is) isn't doing a damn thing for you but causing a huge bottleneck and probably tons of backpressure.

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
The best thing to do is fix the cause of the extreme heat and then worry about the wrapping. If you are able to do an exhaust upgrade, then it would be advisable to do it.

I'd also check the timing too.

Cheers,
Roy

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I think the car is going to be parked again for the winter. I'm leaving the insurance on it this time since the difference is only $186, just in case I need to move it somewhere. Before I consider it road worthy it needs a coolant leak fixed thanks to the excessive heat killing another bypass cap, a full 3" exhaust, a new acc. belt, and acc. belt tensioner... The cost of all that isn't too bad, but it's more than I have right now. :( I hate being a college student, and I'm really happy I didn't try to make this thing my daily driver. lol 88 N/A w/ working A/C FTW!

Collin

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
got_boosted said:
coolant leak fixed thanks to the excessive heat killing another bypass cap

Collin

I just looped the unused water nipples together. Two caps busted on me in less than a day. Looped them together instead of capping, problem gone.

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
OneJoeZee said:
I just looped the unused water nipples together. Two caps busted on me in less than a day. Looped them together instead of capping, problem gone.

The one I'm having trouble with this time is on the bypass pipe on the pass. side right next to the downpipe. There isn't another one to connect it to. :(

Collin

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
got_boosted said:
The one I'm having trouble with this time is on the bypass pipe on the pass. side right next to the downpipe. There isn't another one to connect it to. :(

Collin

Wait, the one coming off the hard water line around the back of the head right?

I looped it together with the one for the 1st turbo.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
OneJoeZee said:
That would be a good guess.

That stock crush bent 2 1/4 or 2.5(whatever it is) isn't doing a damn thing for you but causing a huge bottleneck and probably tons of backpressure.

or he could have an exhaust leak between the manifold/ turbo, or turbo/ downpipe. letting alot of exhaust straight out to your engine bay. that would make sense considering its getting hot enough to melt your harness. damn thats hot :icon_evil

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
supramike7m said:
or he could have an exhaust leak between the manifold/ turbo, or turbo/ downpipe. letting alot of exhaust straight out to your engine bay. that would make sense considering its getting hot enough to melt your harness. damn thats hot :icon_evil

I'm thinking the split loom that I used on the harness may be of shitty quality, but it's still a little too warm for my liking.

No exhaust leaks except for downpipe > cat because I didn't put a gasket in there as I'll be pulling it off in favor of a 3" soon.

Collin

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
OneJoeZee said:
Wait, the one coming off the hard water line around the back of the head right?

I looped it together with the one for the 1st turbo.

The two outlets are on the water neck and then one of the returns is on the water pump and the other is on the hard bypass at the back of the head. I'd have to run a line past the turbo and all the HOT exhaust parts to another nipple. I've thought about it, but I have no idea how I'd keep it off the downpipe and manifold.

Collin