Exhaust Tick

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
I went to the exhaust shop and had a new converter put in and all new hanger and an extra support. He also said that i have a Header Leak and its causing The ticking sound from my engine that i thought was just wrist pin tap. Im curious as to how can a leak from your exhaust manifold cause a ticking noise? How is the ticking create from a leak?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Exhaust is leaking from a single runner on the header. The tick sound is actually the exploding exhaust gas firing out of the crack. This is pretty common, although it's usually caused by loose head to manifold bolts or a blown EGR cooler gasket on the back of the head rather than a crack in the manifold / header itself.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
for exhaust leaks, some people get a misting spritser bottle and spray a mist over the area there is a suspected leak and where you see the mist getting disrupted you can look further for an exhaust leak. You can also take an old piece of rad hose or any kind of hose and hold one side up to your ear and move the other end around listening for an echoeing noise where air is puffing out

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
Thanks for droppin some knowledge on a youngster. Later on in the week ill check to see if its an easy fix like a loose bolt or something that can be patch up. Anything expensive then im not touching it due to the fact that the 1jz is going to be dropping in here soon. I hope that its just a loose bolt or i can patch up the leak. If fixed then this should help with the exhaust fumes in the cabin as well too.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
suprarx7nut;926446 said:
To find my leak, starting the engine when stone cold and then feeling around for the hot air was a piece of cake.

thats exactly what i did too and knowing i had 2 stripped studs at #4 thats where i started and thats where the leak was.