Exhaust sputtering and engine shaking

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
Rain or Shine, Cold or Hot, if I start up my Supra the exhaust has a light "putt putt putt putt" noise coming from it, and the engine is shaking a bit.
I just had my power steering pump "explode" and had fluid all over everything under my hood, riding without power steering right now as I'm hesitant to buy a new pump (150$) when I need to tend to stuff like this.

I was thinking maybe a spark plug is gunked up with PS Fluid, so I'm checking those tomorrow (Bit dark to be doing it now)

But that's the only idea I have of what it could be :1zhelp:

Edit: I do also need a new o2 sensor, if that could cause it?

Last edited:

DRG

Apr 19, 2005
Montreal canada
I would also suggest to get a timing light and double check the timing. I fixed a supra yesterday with similar problems by realigning the cps and timing it correctly.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Does it stutter on acceleration? If so, I would check the spark plug valley for contamination- especially water.
ANY water in the spark valley will cause a misfire, and it will also cause the "put-put-put" and shaking you mention.

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
supraguy@aol;1951852 said:
PS- I have a brand new direct fit Denso O2 sensor in the box.
Lemme know if you want it.
I think my grandfather has a couple laying around his shop, he keeps a few stocked in case any of his go out.

supraguy@aol;1951861 said:
Does it stutter on acceleration? If so, I would check the spark plug valley for contamination- especially water.
ANY water in the spark valley will cause a misfire, and it will also cause the "put-put-put" and shaking you mention.

It's done that like twice, once a couple weeks ago and once a few days ago.

3p141592654;1951846 said:
Check for ecu codes before anything. Is that idle speed warmed up or cold?

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=4
When I noticed that it was cold, but I am about to go buy a few parts so I'll check and edit this post accordingly