Exhaust size?

Newkid

Dec 18, 2007
Aurora Co
I have a stock 90 mk3 turbo. I have save enough to buy my exhaust now:icon_bigg But I have a question? What size should I go with? I was planning to use the rsr with a 3" downpipe and with a test pipe. Is that a good idea? will I lose power?

Thanks

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
From everything I've read on exhaust theory, I feel confident to say that backpressure is not needed in ANY system.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Ma70.Ent;967683 said:
From everything I've read on exhaust theory, I feel confident to say that backpressure is not needed in ANY system.

Are you sure it's right to say it's not needed on any system? I'm sure there is a thread somewhere in the 7MGE section that features dyno chats showing a power drop on a NA car when a larger exhaust was used.

On a Turbo car however, I understand that bigger means better as turbos love to breathe.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
DonS1mpson;967708 said:
Are you sure it's right to say it's not needed on any system? I'm sure there is a thread somewhere in the 7MGE section that features dyno chats showing a power drop on a NA car when a larger exhaust was used.

On a Turbo car however, I understand that bigger means better as turbos love to breathe.

The only thread I know of shows the 3 inch being the same thing as a 2.5 inch one. Also, I'm sure there's ANOTHER few threads that point out it has nothing to do with needing backpressure.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Ma70.Ent;967683 said:

Yep.

You don't want backpressure. It is a common mistake of unknown origin. But if you go to big on the exhaust, you lose velocity. This is does not apply to a blown engine.

The dyno was a year apart from a 2.5 inch crimped exhaust to a 3 inch, and a gain of 1 horsepower. In other words, no gain over a bad exhaust.

Newkid

Dec 18, 2007
Aurora Co
Nick M;967978 said:
Yep.

You don't want backpressure. It is a common mistake of unknown origin. But if you go to big on the exhaust, you lose velocity. This is does not apply to a blown engine.

The dyno was a year apart from a 2.5 inch crimped exhaust to a 3 inch, and a gain of 1 horsepower. In other words, no gain over a bad exhaust.

SO whats too big? 4" maybe?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
IJ.;968960 said:
I'm serious without making it stupidly restrictive a 3" muffler is going to be loud.... :(
When I first started my new motor with 3" turbo back straight pipe, then put a 3" straight though muffler on it there really wasnt that big of a reduction in noise...as IJ said there really is no silencing it.....just make sure you stay away from the gas petal when you pass the po po