Exhaust question.

stonecoretx

Dec 21, 2009
Texas
86.5 GTE swapped. stock besides mhg. bought a 4" exhaust with a 2.5 inlet. now what I want to know is if it is possible to just cut the orig muffler off and just weld on the new one keeping orig piping from muffler front. in theory this would keep backpressure in check untill i get new resonator and down/test pipe.
what is the diamater of oem exhaust pipe?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
like 2.25-2.5in. turbos dont want back pressure. by keeping the stock exhaust from turbo back your wasting your time. the entire complete stock exhaust is crap any way you put it.

siikmk3

Dec 15, 2009
nova
i have a 3in exhaust from the d/p its just srt8 pipes nothing else it runs like a champ :bigthumb:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Backpressure doesn't exist, it's velocity vs flow. The turbo should be the bottleneck in the system.

Changing just your muffler isn't going to do anything besides probably make the car louder (noise + no performance gain = rice).

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
i have a 3" exhaust from the turbo back. TMS DP w/ the Elbow incorperated in it, a test pipe, and the blitz nur spec. Night and day difference on the spool up time of the turbo.

(I can build 7lbs give or take 1 or so just using the foot brake / ebrake to power it up)

stonecoretx

Dec 21, 2009
Texas
true, ofcouse it would be great to just install it all from turbo back, the car sounds great with oem exhaust, deep tone until about 2,500rpm.
i've seen turbo mazda's with 2-2.5 aftermarket piping, as for the piping in a supra is already 2.25-2.5" oem. I guess the real question would be if it be possible to shortcut for now until new piping can be acuired. looking at atleat $100 for the down itself. not to mention full aftermarket turbo header/down/test. just the 4" muffler was $75. if i do the math i won't have a full system until way after the holidays pass. rice or not we all got bills.

I havn't seen a exhaust thread except for 999,999 tanabe medallion threads.
so how about everyone put up what they HAVE on your supra exhaust wise not what you WANT. thanks for the input so far and i'm pretty sure this will help out others in the future.:biglaugh:

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Poodles;1475353 said:
You're missing the point, it's not going to do anything, thus it's a waste of money.

x2

Throwing a tip on the stock muffler isn't going to do anything, you might as well just take that tip back and save the $ till you can get a real exhaust.

Not to mention not all exhausts have to be $600+, you can get one locally made usnig a Apexi N1 can for sub $300. Eaisly. (Not including the downpipe)

If you wan't your car to be loud, and sound different then go ahead and throw the tip on it, but if you want any noticable gains your going to be dissapointed.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
HAVE - Running aftermarket turbo elbow into 3" downpipe, catless test pipe then into stock. Spools nicely and sounds good and is quiet. I don't want any exhaust noise or rumble.

The next restriction is really under the rear axle portion of pipe.

This isn't the setup for others but it works for me right now.

A tip ? That's like a sticker that says pull me over.

There's a beautiful work of art downpipe exhaust I saw posted sometime back.