Exhaust Question, been bugging me

Snotcycle

Jul 16, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
So i see people say "Don't run more than a 2.25" exhaust on NA."
Also "You should get at least a 3" for your turbo"

My question is: How do you calculate the correct exhaust to run for any given application?

theories?

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Experience. There is probably a logical or mathematical way to figure out the right size that will maximize performance. But I'm gonna say experience. Just people trying out different sizes for exhausts on different applications and recording the results. Whether it be real world driving on the road or track; or on a dyno.

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
JustAnotherVictim said:
When people talk about running an exhaust that's too large on an n/a they're referring to the "scavenging effect." Simply put, the exhaust back pressure creates a vacuum which pulls in air from the intake faster.
IMO not that big of a deal on the n/a, you're not making huge power.

personally ive never really heard of scavenging effect unless your talking about 2 stroke motors. also on n/a's u dont want to go huge because u need back pressure in a n/a. on turbos u want as little back pressure as possible. if u put huge exhaust on a n/a ur going to have shit low end, but good top end. so you need to find a balance.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
stratoayu said:
personally ive never really heard of scavenging effect unless your talking about 2 stroke motors. also on n/a's u dont want to go huge because u need back pressure in a n/a. on turbos u want as little back pressure as possible. if u put huge exhaust on a n/a ur going to have shit low end, but good top end. so you need to find a balance.

Many will argue that backpressure is not needed, other than to aid in scavenging. The problem is the engine has to push the exhaust harder at low rpm to get it through the larger piping. With a more appropriate sized exhaust the air will flow through the plumbing faster and easier.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
i dont understand how you could say scavenging isnt a big deal on 4strokes... if it wasnt, engineers wouldnt have designed vehicles to have a overlap in cam timing. better scavenging means more air/fuel entering the motor during the intake stroke. dont discount scavenging if you dont know that a certain amount of backpressure actually aids it. Yes you have HEARD that backpressure is needed but you dont know why, so why come here and argue something you dont understand?

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
xarewhyayen said:
i dont understand how you could say scavenging isnt a big deal on 4strokes... if it wasnt, engineers wouldnt have designed vehicles to have a overlap in cam timing. better scavenging means more air/fuel entering the motor during the intake stroke. dont discount scavenging if you dont know that a certain amount of backpressure actually aids it. Yes you have HEARD that backpressure is needed but you dont know why, so why come here and argue something you dont understand?

no i havent just HEARD back pressure is needed. im not saying u need lots, but u do need a small amount on N/A's if u want anything in ur low end. ive driven my 88 n/a with basically straight pipe and with stock exhaust minus cat and pre muffler, and its faster with the stock set up. i lost to a freaking impulse because in the low end there is NOTHING.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
You need some back pressure to keep the power in the lower rpms where you need it. The bigger the exhaust on an NA motor the less the back pressure and the more the power band is moved to the upper rpms. Some back pressure, or smaller exhaust diameter will keep the power band in the lower rpms. This is caused by the smaller diameter exhaust pipe speeding up the spent gasses at lower rpms than a larger exhaust. This becomes too restrictive at higher rpms, and a larger exhaust diameter will provide the best hp gains for upper rpms. So in a way, you just need to choose an exhaust size to match the style of driving you will do and where you want your peek hp. I used to have a calculator formula to figure out your total cfm at a certain rpm to determine what size exhaust is ideal.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
stratoayu said:
Turbos don't need back pressure.

I also said "in my opinion" so you can have your opinion and I'll keep mine. k

Clip: Yes it's supposed to be 2.5in

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
ok, need to streighten something out.

Refering to Non turbo cars

backpressure is never needed, nor is it desired. backpressure is created by having the proper sized exhaust tubing size. having the proper exhaust tubing size creates the proper exhaust gas velocity. the scavenging effect you are refering too is because of the high velocity of the exhaust in the pipe.

having a smaller diameter pipes makes air travel faster or at a higher velocity, when it travels faster its momentum increases. if the air moving threw a pipe has alot of momentum it has a high resistance to slowing down or stoping. since it doesnt not want to stop or slow down, it will actually create a vaccume after the once open exhaust valve closes. when the next exhaust valve opens there will be a slight vaccum in the exhaust system. that vaccume sucks or scavenges the exhaust out of that cylinder. then that exhaust has the same effect on the next and so on.

backpressure is the undesired effect of this process. too small of a pipe will cause excessive backpressure. such excessive backpressure cancels out the benifit of the added scavenging. having too large of a exhaust pipe, will not create enoguh velocity untill higher rpm thus resulting in lost low rpm torque.

SO after all of that, to determine the right size exhaust pipe diameter ou need to compromise on top end flow and low end velocity. using a pipe just small enough to provide the needed velocity and scavenging effect for low RPM but just big enough to maintain the right velocity with minimum backpressure at high rpm

NOW, for Turbo cars, its slightly diffrent.

on a turbo car you want least backpressure possible. so you want the biggest exhaust you can fit within reason before the point of diminishing returns. for instance if your stock turbo 7m and theres 1 horsepower diffrence between 3 inch and 4 inch exhaust but the 4 inch is 500 bucks more....stick with the 3 inch.

velocity on a turbo charged car isnt as important as the pressure ratio before and after the turbine wheel on the turbo. the benifit of the exhaust scavenging in the low to mid rpm is minimal compared to having the highest pressure ratio between the turbine wheel of the turbo.

having the highest pressure ratio actoss the turbine wheel results in faster spool. also backpressure in an exhaust on a turbo car has a much more drastic effect on the power output.

FAQ Thread On SF said:
Here's a worked example (simplified) of how larger exhausts help turbo cars:

Say you have a turbo operating at a turbine pressure ratio (aka expansion ratio) of 1.8:1. You have a small turboback exhaust that contributes, say, 10 psig backpressure at the turbine discharge at redline. The total backpressure seen by the engine (upstream of the turbine) in this case is:

(14.5 +10)*1.8 = 44.1 psia = 29.6 psig total backpressure

So here, the turbine contributed 19.6 psig of backpressure to the total.

Now you slap on a proper low-backpressure, big turboback exhaust. Same turbo, same boost, etc. You measure 3 psig backpressure at the turbine discharge. In this case the engine sees just 17 psig total backpressure! And the turbine's contribution to the total backpressure is reduced to 14 psig (note: this is 5.6 psig lower than its contribution in the "small turboback" case).

So in the end, the engine saw a reduction in backpressure of 12.6 psig when you swapped turbobacks in this example. This reduction in backpressure is where all the engine's VE gains come from.

as you can see that backpressure in a turbo back exhaust is a substaintail reduction in power

this is my reduced version of the thread on supraforums. the one on there is much longer and more technical.

that thread can be found here: http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227843

So for a Non turbo supra the exhaust diameter of choice would depend on your RPM range and power level. i personally would run about a 2.5 inch exhaust. that shoudl be good for a stock n/a with stock redline.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
THANK GOD...an intelligent response. Someone delete everything else and sticky this answer.:biglaugh: I've never read a thread like this before that I felt explained it with enough detail and usually they are filled with everyones opinion that they got from their cousins, brothers, father in law...etc.

Well done and thanks again.

89supturbo

Jul 28, 2006
Delmar, NY
if you want some good exhaust info read that thread he quoted from supra forums, if you wanna get really high tech with your exhaust though makew a deisil pipe, that thread gives the optimum angle but its a pipe that just gets progressivlely larger if iremeber right the angle is like 17 degrees. Hot rod guys use them alot because they look cool but i have yet to see it on a turbo car

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I didn't read any of this, nor do I really care to at this hour. I'm just going to state my point, and if it's been covered, pass over.

On an N/A, anything more than 2.5" piping is just not necessary...
Unless you've gone and done something insane like Allan (Defiant7M) has... :D
The n/a's exhaust velocity will not come close to terminal speed inside a 2.5" pipe. Therefore, anything more is simply not necessary. I challenge you to run a 2.5" catback on a dyno, then swap it out for an identical 3" setup and post the differences.
I think the only time you'll see a 3" exhaust on an N/A (other than Allan's car of course ;) ) is when the owner has prospective goals for a full Turbo swap or NA-T.
In an N/A application, all the backpressure the engine needs is located in the exhaust manifold. After that, it's all up to getting it out of the car as quick as you can.

A factory turbo exhaust is already 2.5"
Therefore, if you're going to have an exhaust made, why not upgrade? 3" is a huge upgrade on a turbo supra. Reason being? You want to get the exhaust out of the car as fast as you can. Anything after the turbo should be as free flowing and straight as possible for maximum exhaust velocity. You can run a 4" exhaust on an otherwise stock Turbo Supra. Necessary? no, a 3" would easily suffice. Overkill? sure, but who's to judge that? I'd run a 4" exhaust on a mildly upgraded Supra.
People call me crazy for my plans to build a 5" exhaust for my Supra. I don't care. It's just going to be pipe straight to the bumper, and nothing more.

Exhausts really aren't as big of a deal as everyone seems to make them out to be. It's all perspective.
2.5" is fine for an NA, and 3" is fine for a turbo. what you decide is up to you as long as they're at least those sizes.

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
JustAnotherVictim said:
Turbos don't need back pressure.

I also said "in my opinion" so you can have your opinion and I'll keep mine. k

Clip: Yes it's supposed to be 2.5in

yea excately what i said, u dont WANT or need back pressure in a turbo system.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
89supturbo said:
if you wanna get really high tech with your exhaust though makew a deisil pipe, that thread gives the optimum angle but its a pipe that just gets progressivlely larger if iremeber right the angle is like 17 degrees.

"As for the geometry of the exhaust at the turbine discharge, the most optimal configuration would be a gradual increase in diameter from the turbine's exducer to the desired exhaust diameter-- via a straight conical diffuser of 7-12° included angle (to minimize flow separation and skin friction losses) mounted right at the turbine discharge.

reasoning for the conical diffuser as follows

if a larger bellmouth is excessively large right at the turbine discharge (a large step diameter increase), there will be an unrecoverable dump loss that will contribute to backpressure. This is why a gradual increase in diameter, like the conical diffuser mentioned earlier, is desirable at the turbine discharge.

example, turbine outlet is 2.5 inches and u have a 3 inch pipe bolted to it. the step would result in the dump loss.

so basicly a pipe expanding in diameter starting with at exactly the same diameter as the outlet of the housing is ideal.

BUT

Due the realities of packaging, cost, and emissions compliance this config is rarely possible on street cars. You will, however, see this type of layout on dedicated race vehicles.

reasoning for the expansion of pipe diameter is because of the temprature change as it travels down the exhaust. as the exhaust cools it becomes more dense. more dense air is harder to move and slows down. with a larger pipe the reduction in speed will still remain the same flow.

my setup will have a 3 inch outlet on the housing, i will run a 3 inch elbow to a 3.5 inch downipe to a 4 inch exhaust. i will have the 3-3.5 inch and 3.5-4 inch adaptors made and be gradual. also the wastegate flow will be totally seperated.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Just do the whole thing right, cat-back at least.

When I got my N/A car, the exhaust was a functioning 'butcher' job. From the original cat back, it started at 2.25", went about a foot, then dropped to 2". Inside the 'sporty' sounding 3-chambered muffler, it dropped down to 1 7/8".

I could REALLY tell the power increase/difference when I put a new magnaflow 2.5" cat, 2.5" pipe, and 2.5" magnaflow muffler.

The sound was resonating so loud inside at 2k, I had to go back and put a 24" glasspack in the middle (where the resonator goes) to give it a better and deeper tone. I can hear the stereo now.:biglaugh: