Exhaust Manifold Cracked...What to do??

STLSupra

Banned
Aug 13, 2005
South County
I took my Intake and Exhaust manifold into the shop to get ported and polished. Well today I got a call that my Exhaust manifold is cracked. What should I do?? Does anybody have an extra? Is there a cheap upgrade to the stock one or is the stock one good enough for no more then 400 hp?? Please let me know cause I have to let the shop know ASAP.

-GREG

bandit

supra enthusiast
May 16, 2005
southeast missouri
the stock manifold can be welded, but unless it is free of all oil and dirt,(CLEANER THAN CLEAN)the weld will not penetrate good and will not hold.take it to a professional.i am a certified welder but even i dont want to deal with cast iron

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I recommend you go to your local pick ur part and scrounge up a used one. They're cheap and I don't know about where you live but here in Ca. they're pretty easy to find. Normally I wouldn't recommend bone yard parts but hey, it's just an exhaust manifold and:

1. I'd rather have a used one then a cracked one.
2. It'll probably be cheaper then welding your old one.
3. I had one welded and it cracked in like 4 days. :cry:

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
I had one cracked also and checked into having it fixed. Bandit is right on about fixing it, its not easy or cheap, I was quoted a little over 100 to fix it, and that was no guarantee that it wouldn't crack again. Go to your local yard and look for a used one, should be able to get it for around 40. Maybe cheaper. GL.