Exhaust fumes - but only when moving, and worse with the windows down.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
Alright, so it seems that I have an exhaust leak that sort of defies logic. Yes, I know I need to get it fixed ASAP. I'm not really driving the car right now. Anyway. I smell exhaust in my car, but only when the car's moving, and it becomes MUCH worse with the windows rolled down, especially the driver's side one. When the windows are rolled up, I can't really smell it, especially with the air on. I'm N/A. Thoughts?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Possibly the exhaust manifold studs starting to back out.

Open the hood with the engine running. Should be pretty noticeable.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
Well, I checked under the hood. To be honest, I didn't really notice any signs of a leaking manifold gasket. I heard a ticking, but I suspect that this is my valves needing adjustment, not the manifold gasket. I held a piece of paper around the manifold gasket, and besides being blown around by the fan I bit, I didn't notice anything abnormal. I didn't really smell any fumes.

I know the aluminum studs strip easily, though. Is there a magic way to retorque them without stripping them, or helicoiling them? I'm guessing not, but helicoiling them with the engine in the car is, I hear, extremely difficult, and I have no way and no time to pull the engine out of the car.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Also check the rubber plugs in the spare tire well. If they are missing or you have rust holes back there, the vacuum from rolling down the window will pull in exhaust fumes.

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
IJ.;1822386 said:
Check the Hatch and taillight seals ;)

I agree with this 100%..I had the same problem and my hatch seal was f..ked up...I replaced the weatherstrip, both taillights gaskets and the trunk plugs( i was missing 1). Now i cant smell the fumes..