Exedy Carbon twin clutch--replacing the discs--?

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Hey people I am going to purchase a carbon twin clutch for my 2J/R154 setup. I was just going to purchase it new $1600, but a used one came up for $700. The disc are very glazed. How much does a set of replacement discs run for this clutch? I figure the pricing for the 1J and 2J clutch discs would be similar so if you've replaced them before on a 1j or 2j, please let know how much you paid and where.

Cheers,
Jago

daneyan

Banned
Sep 1, 2005
South Florida
if your're running an r154 that came off a 7m car i think you'd be using a 7mgte clutch kit and not a 1jz or 2jz kit. it all depends on the tranny not the motor your running.correct me if i'm wrong guys.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
You need it for the 1JZ because the 7M and 1JZ flywheels are different. The twin disks clutch kits include the flywheel, that is why you need to order if for the 1JZ. If ordering a regular clutch kit, you would order a kit for the 7M because the flywheel is not included in those kits. Make sense?

I think the replacement kits are around $600. I wouldn't mess with it for $700 if it needs new disks, maybe if $500.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
daneyan, you scared me for a second, LOL

Csnow, I can handle 600ish, but I think you are right I should just skip the used one and get the new one. I would have to resurface the stupid flywheel and middle plate anyway.

Here's a link to the used one

Here's the new one

Here's another option. It's a Carbon Twin but with a sprung hub. Click here. What do ya guys think? .. . damper or solid. Carbon is fine solid until it heats up then it grabs like crazy. They are about the same price.

Cheers,
Jago

daneyan

Banned
Sep 1, 2005
South Florida
Jacob said:
daneyan, you scared me for a second, LOL

Csnow, I can handle 600ish, but I think you are right I should just skip the used one and get the new one. I would have to resurface the stupid flywheel and middle plate anyway.

Here's a link to the used one

Here's the new one

Here's another option. It's a Carbon Twin but with a sprung hub. Click here. What do ya guys think? .. . damper or solid. Carbon is fine solid until it heats up then it grabs like crazy. They are about the same price.

Cheers,
Jago
lol my fault man. i was totally wrong on that one.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Van Diesel said:
damper. I ran a solid and it's difficult. damper is slightly harder pedal push than stock. Engages like stock however.

Thanks for the input. I am just double checking here. We talkin Carbon or metal? I know that metal/stuff is not good for the street. It's also harsh on the tranny. The Carbon is supposed to be very streetable when getting on it all the time . . .
"EXEDY Carbon clutches are tuned so that at all lower temperature, engagement feeling is improved and conversely at high temperatures engagement is ideal for sporty driving. In any type of driving, the carbon clutches offer excellent operational feel."

I've just heard that solid was fine for Carbon clutches. If you XP with Carbon is different, that is great info.

Cheers

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
When I spoke to Horsepower Freaks, they recommended the HKS over the others. Lead time is 8 to 12 weeks though from Japan. Twin disk is 1736 shipped I believe.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
MVPmotorsports says very good things about the HKS GD Max Twin as well. For a metal twin it is a great clutch, but Carbon is better in some ways. I don't think that I could wait 2-3 months for a clutch. The Exedy could be at my door in less than 2 weeks . .. Air vs. Sea :D

Thanks for your input Csnow. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Cheers,
Jago