Ever changed the timing belt?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I pulled the cam gear cover off and my timimg belt is a little chewed up on the engine side. :aigo:

Is it recommended and can it be changed without pulling the front of the engine apart?

Thanks...

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Recommended: Definitely. The timing belt is one of the points of failure that will leave you stranded somewhere with an unstartable car. The 7M is supposed to be non-interference, however I don't want to test that theory... again...

You do, however, have to "pull the front of the engine apart." In order to get the lower timing cover off, the harmonic balancer has to come off, and in order to get THAT off...

The water pump can at least stay on.

It's recommended that you replace the timing belt tensioner at the same time, but that will depend on condition.

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
I would definitely find out why the timing belt got chewed up on the engine side. Could be something like a washer missing throwing off the alignment of the belt. Is the belt on the center of the cam pulleys? On my friend's 3SGTE, he forgot to put a washer on behind the tensioner and the belt would get off track in a couple turns.

I would also definitely replace the timing belt. You're going to have to pull all three belts, fan + clutch, harmonic balancer, thermostat housing, and both timing covers.

Follow these instructions:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/mk3/manual.aspx?Section=EM&P=22
It tells you to remove the cam pulleys, oil pump pulley, and crank timing pulley, but don't, as it is only there as a section of a complete tear down and build up.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Fozbo;912036 said:
Is the belt on the center of the cam pulleys?

No. The belt is not in the center. It's more towards engine side. Hence the chewing up of the belt. I figure it should NOT be rubbing on the cam gear backplate; but, should it be pretty precisely in the center of the cam gears?

Yeah...I'll replace the Tensioner and spring while I'm at it.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Ha! I hope you are sitting down when they tell you how much the tensioner is from the dealer, as it is Dealer Only. I'd press them for a 20% off discount...... Spring is only $6. If you are unsure of the tensioner's condition, go to a quiet place and spin it by hand, if you hear ANYTHING, throw it out. Usually a bone stock one sounds like an old roller skate by now.....

By the way you describe your current belt's condition, I'd be wary of the crankshaft timing pulley, as they like to separate into 2 or 3 parts and fubar the timing belt.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Frank Rizzo;912214 said:
By the way you describe your current belt's condition, I'd be wary of the crankshaft timing pulley, as they like to separate into 2 or 3 parts and fubar the timing belt.

How does one tell...Is it a visible type check?

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
CajunKenny- The crank timing gear has an integral washer closest to the engine that sometimes breaks free, allowing the belt to ride dangerously close to other engine components. Usually you can hear such failure pretty clearly, rattling around the crank.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
it would also be good to replace the crank case seal if your changing the timing belt. im accutually changing mine and it was a pain to remove the balancer!!!! but good luck!!

kaz87supra

Supra Owner
Mar 31, 2005
Owasso OK
i hope your supra is a 5spd, if its an auto you will find it difficult to keep the crank from turning, you will likely have to take the cover off the flywheel and invent a way to lock the flywheel to the block. if i remember correctly the crank bolt is supposed to be very close to 200ft lbs tq, so its a real pain with a worn clutch or a auto tranny.

food for thought.

Adam

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The lower timing gear has two guides that are pressed on, if they fail and pop off the belt gets chewed up and it starts to do damage. Before you ask, no, they cannot be pressed back on.

The timing belt idler pulley is NOT a dealer only item, though I bet the spring is. I got mine from O'reilly's as well as my timing belt. The lower timing gear is dealer only and costed me ~$50 IIRC...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yep, all the same

getting the crank timing pulley off is a major PITA, I had to make my own puller...

The bolts that hold the timing cover on are the proper thread pitch and size to thread into the timing pulley, after you figure that out it's easy...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Frank Rizzo;912214 said:
Ha! I hope you are sitting down when they tell you how much the tensioner is from the dealer, as it is Dealer Only. I'd press them for a 20% off discount...... Spring is only $6. If you are unsure of the tensioner's condition, go to a quiet place and spin it by hand, if you hear ANYTHING, throw it out. Usually a bone stock one sounds like an old roller skate by now.....

all those years i needed to replace mine Lol