Even Number of Spokes bad???

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
I was talking to my cousin today, who is a professional stock car driver, and won rookie of the year his first year with only one eye....anyway, he knows a thing or two about driving

he told me that there is a performance advantage to having an odd number of spokes on your rims...

has anyone ever heard this before, and does anyone have a reason?

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
wisconsin/illinois border
I'm not a rim expert but maybe if you look at both a 5 spoke and a 6 spoke, it seems to me that there would be a better balance as far as weight distribution would go when the tire was in rotational motion. Or that the less spokes on the rim mean that it has a lighter weight depending on materials while keeping a strong rim, while ommiting a 3 spoke rim that may not be as strong... 5 maybe just that perfect number.

Maybe I'm right maybe wrong.

Just my beliefs. I am interested to know the truth behind this myself !?!

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Orion ZyGarian;1021041 said:
They are only ugly in pictures IMO.

F1 cars all seem to use Enkei RPF1s (double 6 spoke). Occasionally I've seen OZ racing in its place; BBS a LOT in most non-F1 races (ALMS, GT, etc.)

RPF1's are WIN :biglaugh:

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
mischief7m;1020943 said:
he told me that there is a performance advantage to having an odd number of spokes on your rims...
how many beers does it take for one to think of these things?:icon_bigg
how many vettes' or supras do you see rolling on the BBS wheels? apparently i was wrong about Duane's wheels.
p1021208_1.jpg

how about the racing harts
p1021208_2.jpg

or these
p1021208_3.jpg

Last edited:

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Load of BS. From a performance aspect your looking at total weight and moment of inertia. I see no way the number of spokes would affect that given that both wheels are well designed.

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
DegreE;1020957 said:
What are sawblades considered? lol
Suprarook;1021273 said:
So, generally the amount of spokes on the rim has no affect on the performance given that it is a light weight rim..
yes
benchwarmer;1021264 said:
Load of BS. From a performance aspect your looking at total weight and moment of inertia. I see no way the number of spokes would affect that given that both wheels are well designed.
yes and no having no spokes is better thats why we got those ugly saw blades from the manufacturer's you see if you have wheels that is flat and smooth kinda like the stock ones or the wheels you see on solar cars or land speed cars they restrict the amount of drag in the rim,wheel well ,and vehicle its self pretty simple when you think about it but over all on most cars used on the road it well not make a significant difference in less you plan on going for a top speed record it makes little to no difference the only thing that well impact you greatly is wheel weight

Last edited:

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
charlesshen;1021280 said:
yes and no having no spokes is better thats why we got those ugly saw blades from the manufacturer's you see if you have wheels that is flat and smooth kinda like the stock ones or the wheels you see on solar cars or land speed cars they restrict the amount of drag in the rim,wheel well ,and vehicle its self pretty simple when you think about it but over all on most cars used on the road it well not make a significant difference in less you plan on going for a top speed record it makes little to no difference the only thing that well impact you greatly is wheel weight

Not really. The drag attributed to the wheels is negligible in the vast majority of applications. Land speed cars need all the advantage the can get and solar cars use the lightest, skinniest wheels that can support the car. No spoke wheels for most forms of racing are a bad idea due to the restricted ventilation to the brakes.