Evans Coolant - High temp

Nubus

Jan 8, 2016
Los Angeles
Happy July 4th guys!

I don't know if anyone on here has any experience with using Evans coolant in their Supra?

I currently have it in my system with aftermarket Mishimoto Radiator, fans, and Flex-a-lite Variable Speed Controller. I have a issue with what seems to be overheating (it would peg around 1/4 before red) during hot days with the AC on. Though once I turn off the AC and let the fan cool. it would bring it back down below half.

Engine was rebuilt 6k. Keeps sucking coolant but no leak I can see from all aspects. I've burped the system and tried again today but it seems to be ok.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Leaking somewhere. Either external or internal.

Was the block decked with timing cover ?

Was the head stud torque checked after some heat cycles?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You don't need a tool to bleed it properly.

It's a misconception. The system takes about 2 gallons. Fill it drive around the block. Let it cool and then top off. That's all that's needed.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The only 7M that needs a special coolant "burp" is a broken one.

Raggan;2077741 said:
Did you bleed the system correctly with the heat on high and the fans off, with this tool
https://www.google.ca/search?q=car+...hVN2mMKHW0KBLIQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=QgW4LneyyAdEnM:

Not needed.

hvyman;2077743 said:
You don't need a tool to bleed it properly.

It's a misconception. The system takes about 2 gallons. Fill it drive around the block. Let it cool and then top off. That's all that's needed.

Exactly.

The special burp procedure and MHG myths are quickly becoming my pet peeves, haha.

Just fill the system up and run the engine with the HVAC heat on. Refill as needed.

OP - you're losing coolant somewhere. A good guess would be out the exhaust via a blown head gasket. Small amounts may not be easy to identify in minor smoke out the tailpipe and would allow the engine to overheat (or come close).

Raggan

Mar 16, 2015
Maple Ridge, BC
Yeah its not needed thats why every professional shop bleeds the system with one. Anyways im not gonna argue with that since you already know

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Raggan;2077747 said:
Yeah its not needed thats why every professional shop bleeds the system with one. Anyways im not gonna argue with that since you already know

Not all engines self-bleed very well. Some engines require a special burping or bleeding when filling the coolant. The 7M does not require any of these things. If you get air in the system of a 7M that doesn't easily work itself out you have a problem in the cooling system - potentially a BHG.

Here's Toyota's exact method for filling the 7M: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=CO&P=5

Drain, fill, run engine, refill as needed.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
suprarx7nut;2077746 said:
The special burp procedure and MHG myths are quickly becoming my pet peeves, haha.

Better watch it. Myth producers don't like it when they are exposed. :biglaugh:

Raggan

Mar 16, 2015
Maple Ridge, BC
like I said do what you like it's your engine I was just offering some friendly advice based on my experience, it's your engine not mine.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
That is a filling funnel, not a tool for bleeding. Perhaps you two are just speaking past each other. It burps on its own with the funnel.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It depends on the system. In 25 years of owning and maintaining my Supra I never once had to burp it and a look at the cooling system should make the reason for that obvious. Other cars (my Delorean is a good example) must not only be burped but often use a full time bleeder line. Again, a look at the system configuration tells why.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
When I say burp I am talking about walking away while it is running so the air comes out. And no chance of spill over while over filling. Because I went looking for a gravy job from the dispatcher.

Nubus

Jan 8, 2016
Los Angeles
hvyman;2077867 said:
Get a vacuum refiller. It's faster. And gets all the air out in 1 go.

Well marking a year on this post. Seems to be heated debate on filling method for the coolant, and strayed from the topic =X Been out of town for work and haven't had the time to give some TLC to the Supra.

Hvyman - I actually did it with that method of vacuum refilling. So I verified there wasn't any 'leak' issues.

Everyone else - Yeah It's worth a try to drain and do a vacuum test on the system. I drove it for the last month (been a few months sitting) and I have bigger issues with SOME white smoke and what sounds to be an exhaust leak at the block. Problems never ending... =/

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
That Evans coolant is basically just straight antifreeze, anyway. At least, that's what the chemical label suggests.

Nubus

Jan 8, 2016
Los Angeles
Yeah, it does look that way. Though it is running a bit hotter, I don't know if it's just cause from other factored (problems) that lead up to it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
RacerXJ220;2093702 said:
That Evans coolant is basically just straight antifreeze, anyway. At least, that's what the chemical label suggests.

Evans' boast is that the boiling point is much higher than 50/50, without the water issue causing corrosion over time. My concern is heat transfer and is it good enough. I have not seen a lot of data on people changing and solving an over heat issue. Many issues on the internet are engine swaps with the original cooling system, and the owners looking for a solution when they can't just stick an over sized unit in place of the original. They often end up at Royal Purple Ice and Water Wetter from Redline.