Euro Spec LSD Differential...Quite different & rare diff

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
I think that the Euro spec is quite different from the other USDM or JDM .
At least on the exterior housing..and the cooler that is found only on the Euro spec.
The aluminum back plate has also more cooling fins,and some of them extend more
towards outside the housing's dimensions.

Take a look :

p1678127_1.jpg

p1678127_2.jpg

p1678127_3.jpg

p1678127_4.jpg

p1678127_5.jpg

p1678127_6.jpg

p1678127_7.jpg

p1678127_8.jpg

p1678127_9.jpg

p1678127_10.jpg

p1678127_11.jpg

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Shit is hard to install... :D

(is it really rare? 90+ turbocars. Was it in the whole Europe, or maybe only for German Autobahn? :D)

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
ValgeKotkas;1678131 said:
Shit is hard to install... :D

(is it really rare? 90+ turbocars. Was it in the whole Europe, or maybe only for German Autobahn? :D)

It's very heavy also...It weights around 35 kgm.
This was from a 1990 Euro spec Turbo Supra. Was sold in Germany back in 90'.
I don't know if it was only fitted on a German spec Supra for the Autobahn (no speed limit highway),or to all Euro Spec Supras.
But most of the mk3 Supras sold in Europe were from German dealers , about 80%. Other 20% were UK spec,Austrian spec,Norway spec,etc.,

My car is a 6/1990 model and it has the same LSD diff as the one in the pictures (with the cooler,etc.,).
Till now I know only German mk3s with this kind of LSD diff.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

supraguy@aol;1678143 said:
Hard to belive that thing'll fit, being as tall as it is.
But it's cool. What ratio is it?

Hard to fit where? The above diff is the same as the one I have on my car rightnow...from factory!
I think it should fit any other mk3 Supra being US spec or Canada spec or JDM spec..
This one above is 3.72. My car has the 3.72 also. I think that ALL Euro spec 1990-1992 turbo mk3s have only the 3.72 rear gear. Not sure though..

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

mensrea;1678144 said:
Same gearing as USDM thu ?

Yes,some US spec turbo mk3s from 89-92 had the 3.72 rear gearing...
Pre 89 had the 3.91 gearing.
But don't forget that pre 89 mk3s had the 6M crank and 6500 rev limiter. And post 89 mk3s had a 7M crank and 6250 rev limiter.
So the pre 89 mk3s had shorter gearing but higher revving cause of the 6M crank,and the post 89 mk3s had longer rear gearing but less revving ability.
Toyota made this to offset the top speed,either way.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
It IS hard to fit :D When installing, putting it on some high obstacle and lowering the car on it with a lift makes it doable. At least for me it was hard, I had to untighten the cooler, raise it half-way out (only half of it comes out when deinstalling) and then try to get the diff in without damaging the cooler. Reinstalling in reverse order... gmm and I have to do it soon once more.
But maybe I was doing something wrong... (I doubt my 86/7 subframe is the cause).

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Poodles;1678155 said:
Wish we could get those here, but shipping would be rediculous on such an item...

True! 10 kgms = about $120 USD for overseas shipping by air...
It is the rear diff that is very heavy to ship.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

ValgeKotkas;1678154 said:
It IS hard to fit :D When installing, putting it on some high obstacle and lowering the car on it with a lift makes it doable. At least for me it was hard, I had to untighten the cooler, raise it half-way out (only half of it comes out when deinstalling) and then try to get the diff in without damaging the cooler. Reinstalling in reverse order... gmm and I have to do it soon once more.
But maybe I was doing something wrong... (I doubt my 86/7 subframe is the cause).

Now I got it! I'll let you know when I'll install mine...

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
^Yes, lmk your technique please :)

How much would it weight when you'd take the innerings out?
Then if some friend flies over to the USA (someone goes there usually...) Taking one with is no problem (it's usually 20+20kg baggage limit + you don't usually take things with you to the USA...you buy everything there cheap and take it back :D). Even my parent should fly there in couple or some months :naughty:

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
LOL! It's true ...we usually buy parts from U.S. and fly them back here. Now it's the opposite LOL.
There must be about 4-5 Supra parts that only the Euro spec mk3s have and you can't find them in U.S.

The ring and pinion is 6.5 kgms...
Now for the other inner parts/rings/bearings ,LSD,axle plates etc. I don't have a clue....
I think I will weight every part and post it here in this thread,cause I will take apart the iron housing and the
back alu plate for sandblasting...

Last edited:

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Neat cooler, I wonder how effective it is. Also I wonder what the weight difference is in the backing plate or was it just switched to aluminum for heat dissipation reasons?

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
I don't know how effective it is...but I did many high speed runs 270-280 km/h on German autobahns in the past and I still
got the same diff without having any issue with it. So it does the cooling job very well.
Yes.. aluminum is used for lightweight and heat dissipation reasons.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
If I could get / find a banch of these...like 10 pieces, it would worth it to ship them by freight cargo (sea shipping) to Florida or N.Y.
but these are very hard to get,even here in Europe.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Canuckrz;1678352 said:
Neat cooler, I wonder how effective it is. Also I wonder what the weight difference is in the backing plate or was it just switched to aluminum for heat dissipation reasons?

All the back plates are aluminum.

mensrea

Sep 6, 2009
Schofield Barracks, HI
ValgeKotkas;1678154 said:

You can use a lift plus tranny jack (one of them tall ones), makes things really easy.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Poodles;1678664 said:
All the back plates are aluminum.
Odd, all the backing plates I've seen in person on our lsd's seemed to be the same metal as the casing. Wasn't even a hint of difference in the outside color, granted I haven't sand blasted them yet but one would figure there would be some difference in the looks between the case and cover.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Canuckrz;1679093 said:
Odd, all the backing plates I've seen in person on our lsd's seemed to be the same metal as the casing. Wasn't even a hint of difference in the outside color, granted I haven't sand blasted them yet but one would figure there would be some difference in the looks between the case and cover.

This back plate (from euro spec) is aluminum...
Weird to see one made from cast iron or stainless steel.